Crooked Police Chief Arrested for Corruption in Kandal

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Crooked Police Chief Arrested for Corruption in Kandal

Post by cabron »

Arget wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:32 pm
cabron wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:59 pm
reggie perrin's dad wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:05 pm A corrupt police chief? This is shocking :shock:
Pol Pot and Acolytes were the perfect solution for rhese bad cops.
Did you even think before you wrote that stupid comment :facepalm:
Arget I simply went overboard motivated by frustation, I sincerly apologize to everyone on this forum for this faux-pas. It burns me to see these public servants taking advantage of the law to commit crimes and get away with no sanction.
Boredom is like a shroud
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cabron wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:43 pm Arget I simply went overboard motivated by frustation, I sincerly apologize to everyone on this forum for this faux-pas. It burns me to see these public servants taking advantage of the law to commit crimes and get away with no sanction.
Don't underestimate the punishment of re-education!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

hdgh29 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:50 pm
mannanman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:35 pm I’d bet that every poster who’s ever lived in Cambodia has been guilty of joining in the whole corruption circus at some point. It’s inevitable.
Of course it is. I was involved in a road traffic violation, the cop gave me a choice: $25 fine with official receipt, or $10 no receipt. I won't say which I chose - but what would you choose in that situation?
Obviously the $10 but I don’t criticise Cambodian people (wether they are officials or not) for being dodgy bastards.
It’s not just here. All of SE Asia (or Asia?) is corrupt, especially Singapore - it’s just done at a higher level.
Thailand is as bent as here but not as open, or it wasn’t 30 years ago.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

mannanman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:35 pm I’d bet that every poster who’s ever lived in Cambodia has been guilty of joining in the whole corruption circus at some point. It’s inevitable.
Of course it is. I was involved in a road traffic violation, the cop gave me a choice: $25 fine with official receipt, or $10 no receipt. I won't say which I chose - but what would you choose in that situation?
$50 two receipts
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:dm: Speculation warning.

In this case, judging only from the OP, I think that the police chief was not "sharing" his "tips" - neither upwards, nor down the line to the men on the ground. The chief was raking in all the "extras" without sharing, which created dissatisfaction among the rank and file who got blamed for the corruption but didn't get a share.

From the OP:
According to the staff of the Kandal Provincial Police, Colonel Huot Seiha, Chief of the Samrong Thom Administrative Police Station of the Kien Svay District Police Inspectorate, has been caught in the act, and is therefore being interrogated, and will be disciplined.
It is alleged that there are many scandals in connection with Mr. Huot Seiha, the chief of Samrong Thom police station, all of which involve corruption and extortion.
The lower ranks then complained to the higher ranks, who realised that they were not getting a cut either, hence the disciplininary measures here. The misbehaving police chief will probably now get a promotion to bum-fk nowhere as a pen-pusher.
As I said, that's my take from the op, but is of course, just speculation...
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Part of the system. Always has been and looking at Thailand (Ferrari Joe or whatever his name was), it probably will endure for decades to come, if not forever.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Khmu Nation wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:25 pm
$50 two receipts
60 for 3?

The receipts gives you immunity for the rest of the day (or used to). "I gave at the office". Get it undated.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:01 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:25 pm
$50 two receipts
60 for 3?
The are receipts not bags of crack and heroin. But yeah why not eh -

60 for 3.

2 dark, 1 light..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic