My trip to Sihanoukville

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Re: My trip to Sihanoukville

Post by Tommie »

Are there any areas close to one of the beaches where one still can sit down looking at the ocean with a cold refreshment and good food that is not tarnished/ chinesified? I understand that the corner bar on the hill is still operating. It had a nice view from the second floor, good food and occasional some interesting clientele. How about Otres? Anything interesting left?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Sorry, I don't know.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

It would just be nice to hear any good news from Sihanoukville. There are a few of us that have plenty of good memories of the place. And still wish that the locals are doing well.

I understand that this might not be the case anymore, however I wish to stay optimistic on Sihanoukvilles future, if possible.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Expats and locals living in sihanoukville FB group has some residents that could answer this question.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Are you ok nemo? Seem you have been in Sihanoukville almost a week but you haven't really been anywhere there. You are not held hostage by Chinese, I hope not?
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Tommie wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 pm Are there any areas close to one of the beaches where one still can sit down looking at the ocean with a cold refreshment and good food that is not tarnished/ chinesified? I understand that the corner bar on the hill is still operating. It had a nice view from the second floor, good food and occasional some interesting clientele. How about Otres? Anything interesting left?
The White Boutique Hotel. Westernized and they have beach chairs.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

shv has been a lost cause since Papa john passed
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's not a good feeling when you are told so, "barang spread covid". It also happened to us near the start of the outbreak in Kampong Cham, we were refused food and hotel accommodation in some places, we moved on with our trip up to Kampong Thom, but the problem was the same. Just a few days on we called off the trip and returned home. Unfortunately the Cambodian people believe it is barang who do spread the covid19 virus, or they have been led to think this way.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

Oh yes, the predictable 50 cent army "show us the proof" challenge.
Plenty of photos are posted online, and here on ceo.
I think they just meant what Hotel were you not welcome at?

I would love to think I could return to Snookie one day and laze on the beach but can't see it now
so, I'm coming up to two missed trips to Cambodia breaking my 5 years in a row streak, at least I tell myself when I do get back there it won't have changed a great deal, things have kind of been in limbo....haven't they? I'm picturing Koh Rong when I say this, not sure about PP...
Even the ugly ones
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

I had business in Stung Hav where I previously owned a house and still own some land but needed to go to SHV to spend the night. We had no problem finding a hotel which I had checked out on one of the booking sites first. But we just walked in. It was the SS Hotel and Residence - $35, no breakfast - clean but basic. A weird name - I asked the manager what it stands for - SunShine.... It's on Victory Hill in a side street, near the beach. Opened just 2 months ago. Restaurant nearby is the Chnay Mea. Good food, though it used to be better when I still lived there.
SHV is practically dead, no tourists to be seen anywhere, just Chinese employees, and Khmer. We took a tour along the beach. The road now extends from Beach Road along Ocheuteal, Ariston Beach, going up and around Queen Hill to Otres I and all the way to the end of Otres 2. There are only a few empty lots, otherwise one hotel next to the other, all without guests, so it appeared. The beach looked really nice and clean from what we could tell. Only Khmer people picnicking there. I am not sure whether it will ever recover even after Covid.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic