American Private Investigator in Cambodia Needs Money for Food

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: American Private Investigator in Cambodia Needs Money for Food

Post by phuketrichard »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:49 am
John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:51 am
Multipox wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:08 pm
Or maybe the US Embassy could assist him to go home. 8-)
absolutely. one's own government must repatriate a stranded citizen. the us will loan the citizen the money.
which suggests there is something fishy here
Unless you are actually working for your government they should have no obligations to you once you decide to move out from their jurisdiction. Of course they can offer support but it's ridiculous to think they have any other obligations, especially to hopeless cases. It's not like they are short of nutcases to deal with at home.
I knew an American guy who got himself into a bad situation and - I heard through the grapevine but don't know for certain - the US embassy got involved, they lent him the money to get home and I presume there was some sort of arrangement where he wouldn't be able to leave until it was paid back. I doubt that option is available to just anyone though, I'm sure it would be on a case by case basis with some strict criteria and I agree, they shouldn't be under any obligation to help you.
for the US:
IF you exhaust all means ( contact family , friends, banks) and still cant get enough for new passport, fines, air ticket, US embassy will Lend you the cash and put a hold on ur passport ( cant travel till its paid back except to fly to us)
there is also a note connected with ur SS so when you get a job back home they can attach repayment if you dont start making payments

so in effect a US citizen is NEVER really stuck anywhere

experienced this while in India, broke, without passport back in 75,
i was lucky as raised the funds, but the US embassy would not even allow me to call someone in the states to ask for $$ from the embassy

https://fam.state.gov/fam/07fam/07fam0370.html
373.2 7 FAM 373.2 Destitution
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He's Canadian though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:05 am
nerdlinger wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:33 am
Bubble T wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:46 pm Don't over complicate it for the sake of being obtuse, it does no one any favours. If you live in a "normal" country you can just buy it from a regular exchange for 0.2% in fees or less. From my experience with them they weren't charging any fees other than the spread (and yes, you also pay the network fees but they are usually very, very low if you're willing to wait a little while).
“Don’t overcomplicate it” followed by hand waving away three separate types of extra fee as nothing when they’re also anything but. Coinbase’s spread is at least 0.5% on top of their flat fees, which are several dollars on top of it even for relatively small amounts, before even starting on transaction fees.

Sure they’re not as high as in Cambodia, but don’t act like I’m being dishonest or obtuse whilst in the same paragraph trying to pretend those fees don’t exist.
Not sure what 3 fees you're talking about. Coinbase, like any other reputable exchange doesn't have a spread unless you use their retail service (unless you're referring to the difference between best ask and best bid, which is rarely more than a fraction of a cent for any high volume asset). They use an orderbook. They use maker/taker fees of between 0.04% and 0.5%. You're talking to someone who works for one of their biggest competitors so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about with this....
Come on Bubble, an exchange worth over a hundred billion USD which doesn't make serious money from their services? O.5% max?

Some number crunching...
Q1 2021 Coinbase's revenue was 1.8 billion based on a 335 billion trading volume. That's 0.537% on average, not max. 0.5%. I know they do make some revenue from other activities but their main source is sell & buy. Well over 90% if I recall well.
Compared to the much more mature stock- and bonds markets the crypto markets, and especially Coinbase, are extremely expensive for regular buyers and sellers.
And this is from an investor's point of view.
guest two
Tourist

Post by guest two »

Heads up people. My phone was lost / stolen this AM at Khalendale Mall in PP. Before i managed to reassign my telegram account this article was sent to at least some of my contacts.

Highly suspect!
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:52 pm
Bubble T wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:05 am
nerdlinger wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:33 am
Bubble T wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:46 pm Don't over complicate it for the sake of being obtuse, it does no one any favours. If you live in a "normal" country you can just buy it from a regular exchange for 0.2% in fees or less. From my experience with them they weren't charging any fees other than the spread (and yes, you also pay the network fees but they are usually very, very low if you're willing to wait a little while).
“Don’t overcomplicate it” followed by hand waving away three separate types of extra fee as nothing when they’re also anything but. Coinbase’s spread is at least 0.5% on top of their flat fees, which are several dollars on top of it even for relatively small amounts, before even starting on transaction fees.

Sure they’re not as high as in Cambodia, but don’t act like I’m being dishonest or obtuse whilst in the same paragraph trying to pretend those fees don’t exist.
Not sure what 3 fees you're talking about. Coinbase, like any other reputable exchange doesn't have a spread unless you use their retail service (unless you're referring to the difference between best ask and best bid, which is rarely more than a fraction of a cent for any high volume asset). They use an orderbook. They use maker/taker fees of between 0.04% and 0.5%. You're talking to someone who works for one of their biggest competitors so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about with this....
Come on Bubble, an exchange worth over a hundred billion USD which doesn't make serious money from their services? O.5% max?

Some number crunching...
Q1 2021 Coinbase's revenue was 1.8 billion based on a 335 billion trading volume. That's 0.537% on average, not max. 0.5%. I know they do make some revenue from other activities but their main source is sell & buy. Well over 90% if I recall well.
Compared to the much more mature stock- and bonds markets the crypto markets, and especially Coinbase, are extremely expensive for regular buyers and sellers.
And this is from an investor's point of view.
Coinbase's current market cap is <$50B, how is worth over a hundred?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Sambodia wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:52 am

I was talking about Q1 2021. Took the est. market cap from April 2021.

Coinbase is worth a lot less now. Since April cryptos plummeted and so did Coinbase's stocks.
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 am
Sambodia wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:52 am

I was talking about Q1 2021. Took the est. market cap from April 2021.

Coinbase is worth a lot less now. Since April cryptos plummeted and so did Coinbase's stocks.
Right, the stock is highly correlated w/ crypo prices, but underperforms them. In my opinion, better to own the assets themselves
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:37 pm He's Canadian though.
Why do you say that? His address is clearly Colorado.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

canucklhead wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:37 pm He's Canadian though.
Why do you say that? His address is clearly Colorado.
That's just his "PI Card".

He says here he's from Canada:
http://www.networkesl.com/english/JobDe ... eY7xaxBs1A

And he has also been seen protesting outside the Canadian Embassy in Vietnam with a Canadian flag (and body armor).

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

guest two wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 pm Heads up people. My phone was lost / stolen this AM at Khalendale Mall in PP. Before i managed to reassign my telegram account this article was sent to at least some of my contacts.

Highly suspect!
Really? Last time my phone was stolen the thief only sent pictures of him squatting over a mirror to my contacts! Are you implying your thief works for the administration of CEO?

Great marketing on their part tbh
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic