Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns - NB News Items Only (no general discussion)

Post by xandreu »

johnny lightning wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:00 am I can't be arsed to look it up somewhere. Why is Cambodia buying Chinese vaccines? Most people know the efficacy of the Moderna and Pfizer jab is much higher. Is it a cost per dose issue or availability?
I think it's a mixture of things such as their cheapness and availability due to the close proximity to China. Add to that a sprinkle of geopolitics, oh that the fact they're much easier to store and I think you pretty much have the bulk of your answer.

I was reading that many S. Koreans have refused western vaccines with many lining up to get hold of the Chinese ones, causing a huge shortage. They simply don't trust the new mRNA ones as they haven't had anywhere near as much time to have been tried and tested as much as the more traditional methods such as the Chinese ones. Plus it's well known that there is very little to no side effects with traditional vaccines, yet many, many people report a day or two (sometimes more) of quite severe illness after taking the mRNA vaccines. I've personally known several people, one of them my sister, who have reported severe side effects of the AZ shot in particular, with one friend of mine (granted, he's in the late 60s) being admitted to hospital - he was ok thankfully.

Having had two shots of Sinovac, I think I'd prefer a booster of Sinovac than any of the other ones personally.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns - NB News Items Only (no general discussion)

Post by phuketrichard »

how can u trust any of them?
Now in the states there saying get the Booster for ur Pifzer after only 6 months>>>
so the 2 shots effectiveness wears off dam quick
no word yet about J & J or Moderna

as i have never gotten a flu shot, can someone tell me, are they free?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 am how can u trust any of them?
Now in the states there saying get the Booster for ur Pifzer after only 6 months>>>
In the States, FDA only approves Pfizer booster for 65 and older and high risk for now. The low risk groups are still good with the original 2 shots. Current hospitalizations and deaths are mainly on those unvaccinated.
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 am no word yet about J & J or Moderna
J&J just posted a report last week saying a booster shot can bring the efficacy to about 95%. I believe they are working to get FDA approval on the booster.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:14 am
johnny lightning wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:00 am I can't be arsed to look it up somewhere. Why is Cambodia buying Chinese vaccines? Most people know the efficacy of the Moderna and Pfizer jab is much higher. Is it a cost per dose issue or availability?
I think it's a mixture of things such as their cheapness and availability due to the close proximity to China. Add to that a sprinkle of geopolitics, oh that the fact they're much easier to store and I think you pretty much have the bulk of your answer.

I was reading that many S. Koreans have refused western vaccines with many lining up to get hold of the Chinese ones, causing a huge shortage. They simply don't trust the new mRNA ones as they haven't had anywhere near as much time to have been tried and tested as much as the more traditional methods such as the Chinese ones. Plus it's well known that there is very little to no side effects with traditional vaccines, yet many, many people report a day or two (sometimes more) of quite severe illness after taking the mRNA vaccines. I've personally known several people, one of them my sister, who have reported severe side effects of the AZ shot in particular, with one friend of mine (granted, he's in the late 60s) being admitted to hospital - he was ok thankfully.

Having had two shots of Sinovac, I think I'd prefer a booster of Sinovac than any of the other ones personally.
AZ is not mRNA technology. It is based on the same deactivated virus that Chinese vaccines use. Only Pfizer and Modena use mRNA.

But you are right in side effects being reported in AZ shots. I have friends in the UK that reported a day of feeling a bit rough, but nothing serious. I had no side effects with the Sinovac shots and don't know anyone who did.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

New Daily Covid Infections Remain Above 800
COVID-19: 866 New Infections; Tally 110,792
AKP Phnom Penh, September 28, 2021 --

Cambodia’s Ministry of Health this morning reported 866 new case of COVID-19, of which 83 were imported.

According to the ministry’s press release, the COVID-19 tally in Cambodia jumped to 110,792, including 18,837 imported cases.

At the same time, it added, 505 more patients have recovered, but 26 others have lost their lives; bringing the total cured and death cases to 101,690 and 2,287, respectively.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Receives 3 Million More Doses of Sinovac Vaccine
AKP Phnom Penh, September 28, 2021—

Three million more doses of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine, Cambodia ordered from China, arrived at Phnom Penh International Airport this morning.
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 am how can u trust any of them?
no word yet about J & J or Moderna

as i have never gotten a flu shot, can someone tell me, are they free?
---------------------------------------------------------

In the US I believe you can receive a free flu shot at most large retail pharmacy chains. The shot at your doctor's office costs approx $20-40 plus the doctor visit.

As to how you can trust the vaccines:

1. The Western vaccines all went through phase III trials Those are large scale controlled trials that measure both the effectiveness of the vaccine and look for potential harmful side effects. The data is made public after the trials. AND once the vaccines have been approved for use, there is monitoring of side effects as the vaccines are rolled out - this data is also made public. This is very important, especially given the vaccines were rolled out under an expediated effort (with Pfizer just being given the "normal" approval for their vaccine).

2. The Chinese vaccines are based on well established methods/technology. They have NOT shared their data from trials. What we have is some data that various country health organizations forced the chinese to give them in exchange for running trials in their country. So I believe Turkey, Argentina, UAE and a few other countries released partial data on the trials on their citizens. As far as I'm aware there is little/no tracking of any real life side effects from the vaccine.

You should feel fairly comfortable that the Chinese vaccines aren't going to kill you or have very serious side effects. But that is just based on the fact they are using a "tried & true" method to develop the vaccine. It is a total failure on their part (and frankly ridiculous/pathetic) that they have no shared the data nor made any effort to collect/share any side effects as the vaccines are administered.

Good luck
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

No general discussion
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fewer imported cases of Covid are being reported, but new cases are rising and continue to spread within the community:

COVID-19: New Cases Rise to Almost 900 This Morning
AKP Phnom Penh, September 29, 2021 --

The daily new infections of COVID-19 in Cambodia jumped to 881 this morning; bringing the tally to 111,673.

According to the Ministry of Health’s news release, among the new cases, 65 were imported and the rest were connected to the Feb. 20 community outbreak.

At the same time, the pandemic claimed 15 more lives, but 532 more patients have recovered; the total death and cured cases in the Kingdom stood at 2,302 and 102,222, respectively.
- AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Diamond Island COVID-19 treatment centre to reopen after spike in cases

The decision to reopen the treatment centre came after cases in the country soared with around 800 daily cases from September 23 to September 28. Together with the growing cases, the country also faces the spread of the Delta Variant. Multiple establishments in Phnom Penh reported the detection of Delta cases.

The latest reports states that Cambodia’s Delta cases has risen to more the 7,800 cases. The Delta Variant has spread throughout the country and specifically in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and the provinces along the Thai- Cambodian borders.

WHO also stated that the Delta Variant may soon supplant the previous strain of Covid-19 and become Cambodia’s predominant strain. The high transmissibility and asymptomatic nature of the mutation make it an easier strain to pass around. With cases growing in the country and difficulty in contact tracing and detection of those infected with the Delta Variant, the mutation may not be far off from being the main variant in Cambodia.

The high transmissibility and asymptomatic nature of the mutation...
Really? If true, why care?

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50944677/d ... -in-cases/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic