PM calls for suspension of Pchum Ben 2021

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: PM calls for suspension of Pchum Ben 2021

Post by cabron »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:42 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:10 am I know it will be an unpopular move for the general population but it's a great initiative.
I'm surprised they allowed it to go ahead at all.
I couldn't agree more with you and besides there is way too much national holidays for a third world country with a fragile economy.
Boredom is like a shroud
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

cabron wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:43 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:10 am I know it will be an unpopular move for the general population but it's a great initiative.
I couldn't agree more with you and besides there is way too much national holidays for a third world country with a fragile economy.
National holiday are good for the economy people out spending , being with family, good for your well being especially in these times, you must be American where two weeks a year is considered great, but great for who, not the employee only big business.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Two points occur to me: one, what would the poms do if Boris cancelled Christmas? I suppose there isnt really much similarity, the khmers make offerings to monks and also honour dead rellies (a khmer friend told me its a time when the gates of hell open up, which is a bit disconcerting), whereas Christmas is a time to overindulge in food and alcohol and fight with living family members.
Secondly, having a Department of Cults and Religion. Buddhism as we all know is not a religion, it is a philosophy and a faith system that does not believe in a God figure. Maybe its classed with cults? Just Sunday thoughts.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Technically they haven't cancelled Pchum Ben. They've banned gatherings at pagodas. So that would be like closing churches at Christmas. Christmas would still happen though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well you need to consider the fact that many people work 6 day weeks. Also even if the festival is banned there will still be 3 days off work.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

atst wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:08 pm
National holiday are good for the economy people out spending , being with family, good for your well being especially in these times, you must be American where two weeks a year is considered great, but great for who, not the employee only big business.
Yes most of them go in holidays on credit to show off the family. Before talking about going for vacations one must check the pocketbook.
Boredom is like a shroud
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Spraying Pagodas as Covid Spreads During Religious Holiday
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): Mr. Khuong Sreng, Governor of Phnom Penh, ordered the 14 district authorities to cooperate with the soldiers of the 70th Brigade to spray disinfectant in 151 pagodas throughout Phnom Penh after the authorities and doctors took samples from priests, monks, abbots, and residents of pagodas throughout Phnom Penh.

On the morning of September 26, 2021, the authority of Por Senchey district led by Mr. Hem Darith, after the order of Mr. Khuong Sreng, the governor of Phnom Penh, as the authority of Por Senchey district, he cooperated with the soldiers of the 70th Brigade to spray pesticides in all 14 pagodas in Phnom Penh, especially in Por Sen Chey district, the first step was to start spraying at Pochentong pagoda, then the team went to disinfect other pagodas in this district.

Mr. Hem Darith said that regarding the disinfection of pagodas in the morning of September 26, we did well under the good cooperation of the 70th Army, we sprayed disinfectants in 14 pagodas.
On that occasion, Mr. Hem Darith also called on all people to cooperate well with the authorities to prevent the spread of disease-19 on the occasion of Dak Ben and Pchum Ben.
Festivals can be done at any time, if you do not help, do not cause trouble to others.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

3 days ago More than 40 COVID-19 cases in one of Chbar Ampov’s temple, and above it says the authorities and doctors took samples from priests, monks, abbots, and residents of pagodas throughout Phnom Penh.
Any news of the results?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Talking about this with girlfriend, she has to go and make offerings otherwise her parents will be hungry and good luck trying to stop her.
One good thing my Dad has been included in the offerings he would be pleased about that :BangHead:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

cabron wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:17 pm
atst wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Yes most of them go in holidays on credit to show off the family. Before talking about going for vacations one must check the pocketbook.
Oh dear...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic