Pregnant 15Yo Trafficked to China Has Been Rescued

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Pregnant 15Yo Trafficked to China Has Been Rescued

Post by Freightdog »

RoyW wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:12 am
All you guys can do is make fun of her and accuse her of lying or being after a free flight ticket. It's sickening.
All you guys? 1 person wrote a stupid response, and you attribute that to others. As with many reports in Cambodia, there’s holes and inconsistencies in the story which the unwary can get caught up in. As you will see, if you take the time to read it through with an open mind.

Yes, it’s disgusting what has happened. But the initial translation has actually undermined the girl’s story as much as it has raised awareness.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

RoyW wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:12 am "at least she doesn't have to worry about overstaying her visa"
My whole post was questioning the competent authorities response, as in great let's leave a minor in such a situation with the promise to take care of her visa.

You're quick to pass judgement after taking zero time to comprehend, good effort lad :good:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Never defend comments to a white knight for they do not understand the brutality of the world.
SrokKhmer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SrokKhmer »

RoyW wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:12 am The comments on here mocking the trafficked girl "at least she doesn't have to worry about overstaying her visa" "maybe she just got homesick" "is she looking for free airlift back home" are truly disgusting.

She is 15. I assume that is in Cambodian years, perhaps making her 14 in Western years. She undoubtedly grew up in terrible poverty. She was trafficked to China under false pretenses when she was . . . 14? 13? 12? and married off to a Chinese man. Even she new she'd had to marry a Chinese man she was too young to consent to that and due to her poverty probably had little choice. Now she is pregnant and has to go back to her Chinese husband she was trying to escape because what other choice does she have.

All you guys can do is make fun of her and accuse her of lying or being after a free flight ticket. It's sickening.

Quite normal on these forums. The people dont care unless they have a problem.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:dm: Total speculation, but my take on this, going by the OP, is that the girl was sent (sold) to marry a Chinese man, which was organised by some brokers with the girl's parents. The girl may have agreed to this, and the family agreed, because they told her that she was going to leave her life of poverty and be the wife of a rich Chinese man.
So, the poor girl left her home thinking that she was going to a better life, and was also helping her impoverished family. But, when she got to China, she found out that she was married to a pig farmer who lives in a mud hut, and that she was regarded as a slave by her Chinese husband and his family.
She probably doesn't speak Chinese and had no way of escaping, so she posted her plea on Cambodian social media. The Cambodian authorities, who spend a lot of time reading social media, reacted to her post by contacting the Chinese police. She is a minor, so should be sent back to her family. But, she's pregnant. Ahh, and now I'm wondering about these "Chinese rules" (about not sending her back to Cambodia while pregnant.)

Is it possible (speculation alert) that the girl was expected to give birth in China so that her husband can keep the baby ? And that the Chinese authorities consider that it is a good deal to let the husband keep the kid and send the teenage mother home ?

I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that if the baby is born in China, then it will be of Chinese nationality and cannot leave without permission from the authorities. And maybe the husband just wanted a baby in the first place.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have pondered over this one, thinking there as to be some translation or even miss-reporting over the whole incident.
Why because I can't see them legally married! Because the age to marry in Cambodia is the minimum age for marriage at 18. Exceptionally, a person can marry at the age of 16. Whereas the legal minimum age for getting married in China is 22 for men and 20 for women.
The Age of Consent in Cambodia is 15 years old. The age of consent is the minimum age at which an individual is considered legally old enough to consent to participation in sexual activity.
The Age of Consent in China is 14 years old. The age of consent is the minimum age at which an individual is considered legally old enough to consent to participation in sexual activity.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Anchor Moy, I think that speculation is quite reasonable, to be frank. Certainly there seems to be some typically serious failings on the part of both the Chinese and Cambodian authorities. She's underage. Repatriate her, unless she expresses an actual desire to stay in china. But why would she, if her situation warranted it being made public on social media.

Sadly, though, her plight is now the playground of the likes of LoukBongThom and their counter-socks Srok & Roy, to spread whatever innuendo and divert attention from the actual issue.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:20 pm Anchor Moy, I think that speculation is quite reasonable, to be frank. Certainly there seems to be some typically serious failings on the part of both the Chinese and Cambodian authorities. She's underage. Repatriate her, unless she expresses an actual desire to stay in china. But why would she, if her situation warranted it being made public on social media.

Sadly, though, her plight is now the playground of the likes of LoukBongThom and their counter-socks Srok & Roy, to spread whatever innuendo and divert attention from the actual issue.
There must be something a miss here, because its a prime case for Apple.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

If the girl is underage, the broker that made money from arranging a marriage with an older Chinese man should be held accountable and locked up. A sordid and despicable practice. Even if she is of age, is still morally reprehensible in my book.

I can see how this could have come about. The man can't find a wife in China. He's getting pressured by parents and relatives to marry and have children. However, there's the overhang from the CCP's 1 child policy which has resulted in a shortage of females. So the females have many potential suitors and hence they get fussy and selective and drawn to rich, handsome men or men of higher standing.

Which leads to think he is neither rich or handsome. As AM said he could be a pig farmer in a mud hut for all we know. Hence, has to look in another country like Cambodia via a broker that preys on the poor with false promises. And of course, there's no love, courting or personality involved in this union. From the man's perspective, put bluntly, he wants a baby machine and homemaker so that he will have heirs, respect and not be ostracised by his community.

Poor girl, sounds like she was lied to by the broker, matched with this unknown for marriage (probably against her will if the broker promised her work/job instead), got pregnant to him and the conditions there are probably a lot less rosy than envisaged. They've probably confiscated her passport and his parents/family may well be giving her a hard time that she be a 'good' wife to him. Has she ever been able to send money to her poor family back in Cambodia? I think we can guess the answer to that if she has to resort to social media to plead her case.

And of course, we can guess how the PRC's judicial system is geared to favour their locals. It seems inevitable that even if the Cambodian authorities can put pressure on the PRC on this case, that she will only be allowed to leave the country if she leaves the child behind. Or worse, never be allowed to leave. A very sad state of affairs.

Pure speculation on my part but I reckon maybe not too far off the mark.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

RoyW wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:12 am The comments on here mocking the trafficked girl "at least she doesn't have to worry about overstaying her visa" "maybe she just got homesick" "is she looking for free airlift back home" are truly disgusting.

She is 15. I assume that is in Cambodian years, perhaps making her 14 in Western years. She undoubtedly grew up in terrible poverty. She was trafficked to China under false pretenses when she was . . . 14? 13? 12? and married off to a Chinese man. Even she new she'd had to marry a Chinese man she was too young to consent to that and due to her poverty probably had little choice. Now she is pregnant and has to go back to her Chinese husband she was trying to escape because what other choice does she have.

Nobody said anything like that. Maybe you need to get back on your meds?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic