Thinking of buying a Xiaomi phone?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

[Mod edit: from another topic]

Been browsing phones and considering a Xiaomi/Redmi Note 10. Currently available for $179 for the 64GB one. 5G can wait until the following upgrade, no point in blowing money on a tech you can't use.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: iPhone 13 to be launched this week

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:16 pm Been browsing phones and considering a Xiaomi/Redmi Note 10. Currently available for $179 for the 64GB one. 5G can wait until the following upgrade, no point in blowing money on a tech you can't use.
If this helps at all, Mrs Cargo has had the Redmi Note 10 Pro for a couple of months. I set it all up for her (MIUI is a PITA given it's not very intuitive) so I'm very familiar with it. She paid $279 for the 8/128GB global version (company phone) with 18mth warranty.

I think this is a really great value phone for the money IMHO. I have a dearer upper end model and RN10P puts it to shame bang for buck. Of course mine is better in just about every respect but it's a case of diminishing returns.

In case you're interested, but you would have to stump up a bit more, we bought it at the IMOBI shop (search on FB) and they have the 6/128 and 8/128 ones here (same shop): https://www.khmer24.com/en/mobiles/redm ... 55972.html

They also have the same one you've mentioned but with 128GB storage, same price, company phone with 18mth warranty. https://www.khmer24.com/en/mobiles/redm ... 45465.html

Also, the Note10s 8/128 for $229 https://www.khmer24.com/en/mobiles/redm ... 04225.html
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Xiaomi phones have inbuilt censorship software that can be remotely activated. MiUi (xiaomi's Android layer) is also incredibly intrusive and causes countless issues in a variety of apps, especially if you enable the "full screen gestures" setting. I strongly advise against anyone buying them, especially if you live somewhere where free speech is heavily monitored to begin with.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:29 am Xiaomi phones have inbuilt censorship software that can be remotely activated. MiUi (xiaomi's Android layer) is also incredibly intrusive and causes countless issues in a variety of apps, especially if you enable the "full screen gestures" setting. I strongly advise against anyone buying them, especially if you live somewhere where free speech is heavily monitored to begin with.
My current Xiaomi (A2 Lite) came with "Android One" which was a stock version with monthly updates ever since I've owned it. Unfortunately Android One project is dead now, with just a few Nokia models offering it now. Manufacturers don't want to offer phones that get ongoing updates because it's not profitable. They prefer built in obsolescence. Most Android pones you're lucky if you get a single update in two years, then you're expected to buy a new phone. So wasteful.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:38 pm
If this helps at all, Mrs Cargo has had the Redmi Note 10 Pro for a couple of months. I set it all up for her (MIUI is a PITA given it's not very intuitive) so I'm very familiar with it. She paid $279 for the 8/128GB global version (company phone) with 18mth warranty.
There are ways to reduce the ads and crap in MIUI. https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/featur ... to-2216277

Need to check what MIUI version it is first.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:02 am
There are ways to reduce the ads and crap in MIUI. https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/featur ... to-2216277

Thanks Timmy. I've already used that on Mrs Cargo's phone. After about a month she started getting all these ads and, it seems to work! She's received no more, touch wood. Strangely, I haven't needed to do this on my phone the Mi11. No ads have come up so far. I'm thinking that maybe all those ads are confined to cheaper models as a way to generate $$ from a phone that I think is best bang for buck relative to even other Chinese phones aka Oppo, Realme, Oneplus, Vivo et al.

So my complaint about MIUI was more to do with what I think is a poor GUI. As I said it's not very intuitive and the settings are not always logically placed. Comparing that with my previous LG phone and its like chalk and cheese. Or my previous Samsung tablet. OTOH MIUI does offer a lot of features and options however, it can be hard to find them as they are often buried somewhere. So it took me I reckon a month before I stopped making adjustments to settings, notifications and permissions. It helps that we both have MIUI so I don't get confused with the different GUIs. But having said all that once you're familiar with MIUI and it's quirks, have your phone set up the way you want it, I've experienced no more issues.

By the way, and you probably already know this but be aware of Xiaomi phones that are actually intended for the Chinese market (they are cheaper than the global versions) that are flashed with a global rom. Nothing wrong with that per se and can be readily identified coz vendors only offer something like a 1 week warranty. Personally, I was happy to pay a bit more for warranty and not get a phone with the bootloader unlocked. Apparently, the warranty covers both hardware and software but I've not had to test it as to whether they will properly deliver on that. Each to their own on that but for my phone at least which was considerably more expensive than Mrs Cargo's, I felt I needed that assurance FWIW. But it does p*ss me off a bit that the Chinese version of my phone was not only a bit cheaper but had 12GB RAM vs mine with 8GB.

To identify global versions, and apart from vendors offering long warranties (Mrs Cargo's 18 mths, mine 24 months), the box usually has a 'G' at the end of the model number. To be really sure, you can use Xiaomi's authentication tool here: https://www.mi.com/global/verify#/en/tab/imei

Sorry if you know all this already but this could be useful to others thinking of buying a Xiaomi. Apologies for going off topic a bit.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:29 am Xiaomi phones have inbuilt censorship software that can be remotely activated. MiUi (xiaomi's Android layer) is also incredibly intrusive and causes countless issues in a variety of apps, especially if you enable the "full screen gestures" setting. I strongly advise against anyone buying them, especially if you live somewhere where free speech is heavily monitored to begin with.
You're right about the censorship provision, discussed here recently post513417.html#p513417

It can be a PITA to get some apps to work properly. Not only do you have to get into settings within the app but also, outside the app in the phone's settings for permissions. notifications, autostart et al. Both of us use the full screen gestures and found no issues there.

I wonder whether we haven't had so many issues coz we bought global version company phones. Coz on phone forums, there are a lot of people saying exactly what you're saying. However, I see many of those are Chinese versions where they set up different android launchers like Nova etc and flash it with a different ROM like LineageOS etc
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:02 am

Also, you need to have a clue wtf MIUI and PITA is in the first place :D

I only read tech zone to be humbled a bit...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Moved to new topic
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thinking of buying a Xiaomi phone?

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm Moved to new topic