Everything You Wanted to Know About Cambodian Rice Exports (Latest from Jan 2019)

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Everything You Wanted to Know About Cambodian Rice Exports (Latest from Jan 2019)

Post by newkidontheblock »

Ozinasia wrote:I had a friend contact me months ago, he had an order for 10,000 Metric tons every month for a year and asked if I could get it for him .
Try as I might I sent out dozens of emails to brokers , mills wholesalers could not find anyone that would supply for export really weird.
Your friends wants to buy 120,00 tons of rice a year.

The entire Kingdom of Cambodia produced 11,000 tons of rice a year for the export market.

No broker or wholesaler can supply the amount of Cambodian rice your friend wants.

Just back of the napkin math.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Re: Everything You Wanted to Know About Cambodian Rice Exports (Latest from Jan 2019)

Post by Biffsm »

I bought Thai jasmine rice for 40+ years in the USA...grown just across the border.
It is about time Cambodia got into various rice exports.
I buy a great jasmine rice from a company in Kampong Cham.
They have it packaged for sale in the USA...even though I get it in Siem Reap.
I suggest people check rice growing websites and learn about the different types of rice..some can be harvested 3 times a year.
The jasmine I buy is a once a year November-January harvest.
The tonnage depends on the variety and weather.
Convincing an old timer to plant more expensive jasmine is not an easy sell.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:18 pm
Ozinasia wrote:I had a friend contact me months ago, he had an order for 10,000 Metric tons every month for a year and asked if I could get it for him .
Try as I might I sent out dozens of emails to brokers , mills wholesalers could not find anyone that would supply for export really weird.

The entire Kingdom of Cambodia produced 11,000 tons of rice a year for the export market.

No broker or wholesaler can supply the amount of Cambodian rice your friend wants.

Just back of the napkin math.
You might want to use that napkin for your drivel.
pebbles&nightsky
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Cambodia exported a total of 690,829 tonnes of milled rice to 60 countries and regions in 2020 I would think 10,000 wouldn't be a problem
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Where can I get brown rice? 10-20kg and how much should it roughly cost?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

1 June 2021
Cambodia’s rice exports in crisis

In the first five months of 2021, rice exports declined by more than 30 percent due to the crisis of transportation due to a lack of containers and sea freight prices continued to rise by up to five times when compared to 2019.

This is according to Mr. Oknha Song Saran, President of the Cambodian Rice Federation.

He stated that the shortage of rice transport containers continued after the outbreak of Covid-19, and this affected the rice market in Cambodia as there is insufficient supply of rice to the international market while demands remained high.

The main demands are from United States, Australia and especially from China.
https://ukragroconsult.com/en/news/camb ... in-crisis/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Closed Vietnam borders drive down prices of rice on domestic markets
Khouth Sophak Chakrya | Publication date 27 July 2021 | 21:24 ICT
Farmers in provinces bordering Vietnam are complaining about a drop in the price of rice in domestic markets due to an inability to export to Vietnam because of the closed border, leaving too much supply in Cambodia and not enough demand.

Ath Sophal, a farmer in Banteay Kraing commune of Svay Rieng province’s Kampong Ro district, told The Post that local brokers had dropped rice prices from 900 to 650 riel per kg ($0.22 to $0.16). The drop in price has cost his family millions of riel in income compared to what he could have gotten for it in Vietnam.

“We have no choice because we could not transport rice for sales to Vietnam like before. We also need money to pay our costs which we borrowed from others to plant the rice and also to cover our daily expenses,” he said.

He added that most of the farmers in the district usually transported rice for sale at the market in Vietnam via the Prey Vor international border checkpoint. Their rice could be priced from 900 riel to 1,050 riel per kg there.

But due to recent widespread Covid-19 outbreaks in Vietnam, the Cambodian and Vietnamese authorities had agreed to temporarily close the borders to prevent further spread of the pandemic.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ic-markets
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Drought damages nearly 68,000ha of rice in Cambodia
Sunday, 22 Aug 2021
12:08 PM MYT

PHNOM PENH (The Phnom Penh/Asia News Network): Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Veng Sakhon said up to 67,942ha of rice crop, or 2.56 per cent of the total paddy fields cultivated across the country, had been affected by drought.

Four provinces bearing the brunt include Banteay Meanchey, Kandal, Pursat and Siem Reap, accounting for 10,553ha with only 2,376ha having been saved.

Sakhon said that as of Aug 19, the harvest of early-season rice -- short-term rice cultivars sown and also harvested in the rainy season -- reached 302,337ha out of the planned 890,645ha.

“Rice harvest at the beginning of this season is 1,267,791 tonnes, an increase of 789,151 tonnes over the same period last year. It is estimated that a hectare of paddy field yields 4.19 tonnes of rice,” Sakhon said.
://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus- ... n-cambodia

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Exports Almost 350,000 Tonnes of Milled Rice in First Eight Months
AKP Phnom Penh, September 01, 2021 --

Cambodia shipped 343,447 tonnes of milled rice during the first eight months of this year, a decline of 23.37 percent compared to the same period last year, generating nearly US$292 million as income.

The figures were shared this morning by H.E. Veng Sakhon, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries, explaining the decline by the lack of storage containers and rising shipping costs.

Cambodia’s milled rice was shipped to 52 countries around the world, and China remains the biggest market buying 165,612 tonnes.

The rest were 22 countries in Europe, seven countries in ASEAN, and 22 other destinations, and 59 companies have engaged in the milled rice exports, he added.

During the period, Cambodia exported more than 2.38 million tonnes of paddy rice to Vietnam, a year-on-year increase of about 85.93 percent or 1,101,431 million tonnes, and earned some US$393 million.
- AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Rice exports this year - up or down ?

Milled-rice exports surge 43% in Jul-Sept
Hin Pisei | Publication date 09 October 2021 | 14:46 ICT

Cambodia exported 130,248 tonnes of milled rice in July-September valued at more than $81 million, representing a 42.95-per-cent rise in volume from the 91,115 tonnes posted in the same period last year, the Cambodia Rice Federation (CRF) reported earlier this week.

Last month alone, the Kingdom shipped out 67,251 tonnes to the tune of $35.34 million, far exceeding the volumes recorded in the previous four Septembers: 49,776 tonnes (2017), 47,626 tonnes (2018), 56,541 tonnes (2019) and 40,572 tonnes (2020).

However, the total volume of milled-rice exports over January-September was 410,698 tonnes – valued at $283.69 million – decreasing by 15.97 per cent from 488,775 tonnes in the first nine months of 2020.

Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau were collectively the largest buyer of Cambodian milled rice over the period, accounting for 49.50 per cent, followed by the EU (26.91 per cent) and ASEAN (10.09 per cent), while other countries and territories bought 13.50 per cent.

Fragrant rice contributed the bulk of the exports at 69.71 per cent, followed by white rice (27.18 per cent), parboiled rice (1.71 per cent) and organic rice (1.41 per cent), the CRF said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... 3-jul-sept

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic