There Will Never Be Another War Movie Like 'Apocalypse Now

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: There Will Never Be Another War Movie Like 'Apocalypse Now

Post by phuketrichard »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:48 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:07 am
Can you pick and choose who you steal from? (in legal terms)
In moral terms, I do it all the time. I will pay for books, but download movies. Fuck Hollywood!
with the number of books i read ( average 1-2 /week) and being in places the ONLY way i could buy them, ( if i was into spending $15-30/book, which i am Not) is thru amazon and even there, many are not available
I download them all the time
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:11 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:48 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:07 am
Can you pick and choose who you steal from? (in legal terms)
In moral terms, I do it all the time. I will pay for books, but download movies. Fuck Hollywood!
with the number of books i read ( average 1-2 /week) and being in places the ONLY way i could buy them, ( if i was into spending $15-30/book, which i am Not) is thru amazon and even there, many are not available
I download them all the time
I'm a Kindle man myself and aim for the cheaper titles. Still, at 3-5 books a month, it adds up.

Problem is most of the free options aren't that great. Some shitty PDF doesn't work for me. Plus, I like to support the smaller writers.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Just watched Hacksaw Ridge from the same website, visually it's pretty impressive, fire, explosions, wounds, impacts...
This Mel Gibson guy definitely has a thing for violence & bibles.

But still light-years away behind Apocalypse Now in terms of narrative.
Maybe Lord of the Ring could feel similar in terms of visual intensity + amount of epic scenes into a quest, but it takes x3 times the lenght, and doesn't relate to reality, so, yeah, not all boxes ticked.

The thing i like most in this Coppola's movie is how various ambiguous scenes just pile up to the end without seiing them coming. It's a ride through a mystery, with weird situations all the way. This is a thing i'm looking for, but not specifically in war movies. I can find it in Falling Down, or The Game, or Memento, or Angel Heart, or Fight Club...

Guess i'm gonna watch Barton Fink now. It's sunday after all.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

My Sunday viewing:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Hard to get book but probably the best on the war in Laos. “Flying Through Midnight”. Used Long Tien as the alternate strip at night and only lived because someone forgot to turn the landing lights off. The Laos wanted to kill them. As for movies I like the corny old black and white ones as much as the newer ones. Cross of Iron best for me and Apocalypse now.
Best war scene in any movie for me was Charlie Sheen going up the river on a Swift boat and meeting Martin coming the other way. Loved you in Wall St says dad.
I have an old Vietnam vet draftee who sailed from Sydney to Vung Tau with the first Aussie tanks on an old WW2 LSM. Spent the war on the rivers with the Americans. Never fought with Australians. Spent time in the Korean zone. Vicious, murderous bastards he said. Torture and murder of civilians especially kids main cause of his PTSD.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic