How do Foreigners view Cambodians?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How do Foreigners view Cambodians?

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:21 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:48 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:29 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:34 pm
For those that do have licences here, is the bar set very high in terms of the test and difficulty?
The bar is 300$ in my province.
I was quoted 100-something to turn any license into a Cambodian one. About double if you have no license to begin with. Also depends on whether you are prepared to go to their office on your own or prefer sending someone else.

I guess if you are local its cheaper and possibly even such a no-issue that nobody really thinks about a license being necessary.
My price is a quote from the local driving school for locals needing a license for a car.
I hear you.. was actually talking about a license for heavy motorbike. Not sure if they are different but also would expect to pay more if going through a school.
AFAIK local driving schools only handle car licenses (B).
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Cambodia and Khmers. The food is crap, the music is crap. The climate is brutal. The people are generally pleasant. The women are sexy, the guys relaxed. They are obsessed with money and greed and are quite stingy compared to other Asian nations. Modern culture here is dull or non-existent. They can't drive and have little regard for others outside of the family. They are also helpful and humble and have a lot dignity, despite continuously being shafted. I like it here.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I like 'em.

What's been refreshing for me, visiting from Thailand, is that Cambodians generally seem more interested in the outside world than Thais. That has often made for interesting conversations, even with pretty random people I've met by chance.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

Most all Khmers I have interacted with has been very polite. I smile to them and they smile back at me. Even the Police officer who stopped me at the golden Lion roundabout and give me a fine for not wearing a helmet was very polite and smiling. He spooke very good english and we ended up with a 10 minute conversation on the topic of being a Police traffic officer. It was very enlightning for me to get to know his hurdles. So I gave him a 5 dollar tip and we parted on good terms.

My view on the khmer people is that if you behave as a polite and smiling guest and pay your dues they will go out of their way to help you with just about anything. And for that reason Cambodia is first on my list of places that I will retire to in the future. I just hope that I can find I nice place close to a beach that has not been chinesified.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Tommie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:17 pm Most all Khmers I have interacted with has been very polite. I smile to them and they smile back at me. Even the Police officer who stopped me at the golden Lion roundabout and give me a fine for not wearing a helmet was very polite and smiling. He spooke very good english and we ended up with a 10 minute conversation on the topic of being a Police traffic officer. It was very enlightning for me to get to know his hurdles. So I gave him a 5 dollar tip and we parted on good terms.

My view on the khmer people is that if you behave as a polite and smiling guest and pay your dues they will go out of their way to help you with just about anything. And for that reason Cambodia is first on my list of places that I will retire to in the future. I just hope that I can find I nice place close to a beach that has not been chinesified.
I agree. Random Khmers whom you have absolutely no association with whatsoever, such as other road users, pedestrians, customers in shops etc, can come across as rather ignorant, but that's kind of true anywhere. But if there is some kind of association between you, no matter how minor, such as just happening to work in the same building but have never spoken, they will hold doors open for you (and thank you for allowing them to hold the door open for you), wait at the bottom of stairs if they see you already coming down so as not to cross you on them (and look down at the floor out of respect as you pass them), acknowledge you if they see you outside of the workplace or common area they usually see you in, and many other very small - and often easy to miss - signs of respect, kindness and friendliness that you just don't get in western counties.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic