Do you agree with mandatory vaccinations

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

do you agree with mandatory Vaccinations?

Yes
40%
No
56%
no coment
4%

Total votes: 96
JBTrain
Expatriate

Re: Do you agree with mandatory vaccinations

Post by JBTrain »

IraHayes wrote:The stats on deaths sorted by vaxxed Vs un-vaxxed are pretty much so blatant that given time the only people dying will be the un-vaxxed.

The anti-vax movement is generally the preserve of the more affluent west anyway who are able to rely on the best medical care when their poor decisions put them and their loved ones in hospital.
Let countries set their own rules as to who they let in and what requirements they need the visitor to have.
But I'm still not convinced after 23 pages that making the covid vaccine mandatory for your citizens is the way to go.
The way Richard phrased it in the OP was mandatory for work (presumably as established by employer) or travel, not "mandatory for your citizens" ie you have to get it or you get locked up

In the Texas stats I posted there were only 2 deaths among vaccinated under 60, and only 11 vaccinated without underlying conditions (43 dead vaccinated people total among around 9000 deaths). It is already a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

JBTrain wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:27 pm
IraHayes wrote:The stats on deaths sorted by vaxxed Vs un-vaxxed are pretty much so blatant that given time the only people dying will be the un-vaxxed.

The anti-vax movement is generally the preserve of the more affluent west anyway who are able to rely on the best medical care when their poor decisions put them and their loved ones in hospital.
Let countries set their own rules as to who they let in and what requirements they need the visitor to have.
But I'm still not convinced after 23 pages that making the covid vaccine mandatory for your citizens is the way to go.
The way Richard phrased it in the OP was mandatory for work (presumably as established by employer) or travel, not "mandatory for your citizens" ie you have to get it or you get locked up
Not really.

The poll at the top was 'do you agree with mandatory Vaccinations?' YES/NO

Richard's first post after that gives the reason why he got vaxed (ie for travel) and then he says 'I do NOT agree with mandatory vaccinations to travel or work'. That's his personal view only.

So, in effect, the poll question did not specify for what purpose. Hence I think members would have assumed it meant as you say "mandatory for your citizens". So, all encompassing ie work, travel, public buildings, restaurants, shops etc etc

Had the particular purpose been specified up front in the poll question, the result may have been quite different.

Also, there's the issue of whether any exclusions/exceptions are allowed for high risk groups such as those with severe allergic reactions to vaccines, some pregnant women, or as advised by a doctor. Again, that left it to members to assume that either it did or did not.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

clutchcargo wrote:
JBTrain wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:27 pm

Not really.

The poll at the top was 'do you agree with mandatory Vaccinations?' YES/NO

Richard's first post after that gives the reason why he got vaxed (ie for travel) and then he says 'I do NOT agree with mandatory vaccinations to travel or work'. That's his personal view only.

So, in effect, the poll question did not specify for what purpose. Hence I think members would have assumed it meant as you say "mandatory for your citizens". So, all encompassing ie work, travel, public buildings, restaurants, shops etc etc

Had the particular purpose been specified up front in the poll question, the result may have been quite different.

Also, there's the issue of whether any exclusions/exceptions are allowed for high risk groups such as those with severe allergic reactions to vaccines, some pregnant women, or as advised by a doctor. Again, that left it to members to assume that either it did or did not.
I presumed it was Richard's poll. If not well that's just silly since mandatory vaccines as you describe aren't a thing . I'd change my vote but like who actually cares.

Using Tapatalk
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:32 pm good point
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

mrfusion wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 pm I am vaccinated. I don't believe in mandatory vaccination.

But business should also have the right to deny unvaccinated customers, employer should have the right to employ only vaccinated people.
if the company hired me before the pandemic, you can't put a retroactive law on me now. you can suspend me but you give me the salary anyway ..
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kigna wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:32 pm
mrfusion wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 pm I am vaccinated. I don't believe in mandatory vaccination.

But business should also have the right to deny unvaccinated customers, employer should have the right to employ only vaccinated people.
if the company hired me before the pandemic, you can't put a retroactive law on me now. you can suspend me but you give me the salary anyway ..
That's the question. If the employer can convince the judge unvaccinated people put others at risk, or are unable to perform certain tasks existing laws can be used.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Kigna wrote:

An employer in most situations has a right to enforce all kinds of regulations for existing employees (requiring new uniforms for example). As long as it doesn't discriminate on the basis of religion, sex, race, disability, or national origin (in the US) it's not up to the employee as to whether they like a particular condition of employment or not (unless protected under some pertinent union contract or something like that).

Using Tapatalk
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

"if the company hired me before the pandemic, you can't put a retroactive law on me now. you can suspend me but you give me the salary anyway .."

Alas..gone are the good old days of the golden rule - he with the gold, makes the he rules.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Clearing up what I mean by "mandatory" Covid vaccines.
:dm:
I voted yes for "mandatory" vaccines that will protect the general population, and in particular those most exposed to the virus such as health workers, so that we can get on with our lives, work, travel etc.
But I want to say that, (this should go without saying, but...) OF COURSE ,if you cannot be vaccinated, because you are allergic or pregnant or if you have a specific health condition, then you should not be vaccinated and you should not be shamed for that.

Summary: Yes I voted for mandatory vaccinations for people to protect themselves and protect us all, but, no, I do not want anyone to be vaccinated by force.
(But, I do want to know if I'm mixing with unvaccinated people or those who really don't give a shit, so I can stay clear.)
I can understand that some vaccinated workers may not want to work with unvaccinated workers, some customers also. Then what do you do ?
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:34 pm "if the company hired me before the pandemic, you can't put a retroactive law on me now. you can suspend me but you give me the salary anyway .."

Alas..gone are the good old days of the golden rule - he with the gold, makes the he rules.

if that's okay with you, go live in china. workers have fought to win rules and rights. tomorrow a dictator stands up and says, let's change the rules. there is a constitution and there are individual freedoms enshrined in constitutions. moreover, no European state nor America have imposed the obligation or the blackmail of dismissal. at the moment only in Italy there is a dictatorship and perhaps also in Australia
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic