Electric moto and laws

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Electric moto and laws

Post by mannanman »

So I know you don’t need a licence for an electric moto but what about plate and ID?
Saw a proper maxi scooter ($3500!, but it did 72mph) but it was electric and he said he always gets stopped for no plate but then he explains it’s electric and after a bit of confusion they let him go.

Would I have to wear a helmet, even though I would anyway just wondering.

What says you all?

People of the world, spice up your life.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Electric moto and laws

Post by timmydownawell »

So far they don't need to be registered/plates. But given the recent hike in numbers I have seen being ridden around the place I reckon it's only a matter of time.

And yes, pretty sure you need to wear a helmet. The Go2 hire ones come with two helmets.

I was out walking the other day and found a couple in an alley who'd obviously just that minute taken delivery of their brand new electric moped. They were turning the key and wondering why it didn't "start" so I did a throttle motion and said "toe!" and they realised it was "on" haha. They then took turns riding (slowly) up and down the alley to get the hang of it. Very cute.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

No plate needed.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

No plate needed

Helmet needed

Those things make real bikes look safe and have max torque at zero rpm, so it can pull very hard instantly

Here's a very satisfying compilation of retards on electric bikes:
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

No not an E scooter a moto.
Any grown man (or woman or any gender) who rides one of those needs to have a word with themselves. Utterly stupid embarrassing things.

Ok for a 7yo but not anyone over 16!
Last edited by mannanman on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 pm So far they don't need to be registered/plates. But given the recent hike in numbers I have seen being ridden around the place I reckon it's only a matter of time.

And yes, pretty sure you need to wear a helmet. The Go2 hire ones come with two helmets.

I was out walking the other day and found a couple in an alley who'd obviously just that minute taken delivery of their brand new electric moped. They were turning the key and wondering why it didn't "start" so I did a throttle motion and said "toe!" and they realised it was "on" haha. They then took turns riding (slowly) up and down the alley to get the hang of it. Very cute.
I don’t see how they can make people get plates. Imagine the shit show if they try that!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

mannanman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:54 pm So I know you don’t need a licence for an electric moto but what about plate and ID?
Saw a proper maxi scooter ($3500!, but it did 72mph) but it was electric and he said he always gets stopped for no plate but then he explains it’s electric and after a bit of confusion they let him go.

Would I have to wear a helmet, even though I would anyway just wondering.

What says you all?

mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Give it a rest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic