Three Heads of Asura Found in Angkor Restoration

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Three Heads of Asura Found in Angkor Restoration

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Three Heads of Asura* Discovered at Takao Gate
AKP Phnom Penh, July 07, 2021 --
The conservation team of the Department of Conservation of Monuments in the Angkor Park and Preventive Archaeology of the APSARA National Authority has discovered three heads of Asura, while conducting excavations to restore Takao Gate (West Gate).

The information was shared this afternoon by H.E. Kim Sothin, Deputy Director General of APSARA National Authority.
A statue of angel and many other pieces of artifacts have been found along with the Asura heads, he said, adding that the restoration of Takao Gate is funded by Oknha Seang Chan Heng, Director General of Heng Development Co., Ltd.

Takao is one of the five gates of Angkor Thom city. Located in the west of Bayon Temple, the gate was made of sandstone and laterite with three four-faced Brahma above.
- AKP

* "Asura" can mean god, demigod, titan, or antigod, according to the context. They exist in both the Hindu and the Buddhist religions.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Three Heads of Asura Found in Angkor Restoration

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:56 pm Three Heads of Asura* Discovered at Takao Gate
AKP Phnom Penh, July 07, 2021 --
Image .

That's quite a remarkable head
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote from the above article -
* "Asura" can mean god, demigod, titan, or antigod, according to the context. They exist in both the Hindu and the Buddhist religions.

The Buddhist asuras are broadly derived, in general character, from the wicked asuras of Hinduism, but have acquired some very distinctive myths which are only found in Buddhist texts.

According to the Vedas, there are 2 types of powerful entities. Suras, followers of light (these are the Devas) and Asuras, ones who do not follow the light. In the Vedas, Vishnu is just one of the Adityas (one of the 12 aspect of the Sun). Suras or Devas being followers of light i.e. the Adityas hence supported by Vishnu. Vishnu being an Aditya throws light on things and make their secret known. But light cannot be on everything at the same time. Somethings will remain in the shadow. So, everything that is under the light is signified by power of Vishnu. Everything that is in the dark or hidden signifies the power of Shiva. In the Vedas, Shiva is only referred as Rudra or Marutas. But Vishnu and Shiva are not opposites but different aspect of the whole reality, the Brahman. So, Suras tend to be aligned towards the Vishnu, while the Asuras are partial towards Shiva.

Cambodia, and Angkor Wat and it's surrounding temples, what a magnificent heritage site of historical buildings. But even still It doe's seem that many Cambodians can't accept that the origin's were the place of worship of the Hindu religion.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I hope i am not being disrespectful but i automatically translate Shiva in my head as Steve. Seriously.
'Makes him a bit more human and a bit less scary. Snowflake. i guess at some level i am just not tough enough to have real Shiva in my life.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Another Deva Head Statue Found at Takav Gate
AKP Phnom Penh, September 20, 2021 --
Another Deva head has been found at Takav gate, according to Mr. Kim Sothin, Deputy Director General of APSARA National Authority.

The statue was, continued Mr. Kim Sothin, discovered on Sept. 17 during the archeological excavation to restore the Takav Gate, adding that the authority's working group is working hard in repair of the gate and now it has achieved about 30 percent.

The restoration project of Takav Gate kicked off in May this year, and it is expected to complete in 2023.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

More treasures found at Angkor !
New Discovery of Missing Pieces of An Asura Head Found by Tonle Oum Moat Gate
Cambodia News (Siem Reap Province): On October 19, 2022, missing pieces of an Asura head were found on the east side of the Tonle Oum moat gate by the Apsara authorities.
This discovery was spotted after the authorities moved the vendors' stalls so that they could search the whole site. The fragments of the sculpture were found buried underground.
The newly discovered Asura head is in the Bayon style during the reign of Jayavarman VII. This amazing discovery has encouraged the authorities and workers to continue digging in search of more missing artifacts in order to restore them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic