Clothes

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Clothes

Post by Gazzy »

My wife has a large pile of clothes she no longer wears or needs. Decent stuff too. I was wondering if it's ok to put them in a bag and give them to the people down St.130 that seem to be living outside the girlie bars now? Any better ideas?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Clothes

Post by atst »

Good idea
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

The women who push around the carts collecting recyclables would be who I would give stuff like that.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The stuff is resold in secondary markets in the villages. Especially the used panties.

Too cheap to believe always comes with caveats.

But to others who can’t afford anything else this is a godsend.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:57 pm The stuff is resold in secondary markets in the villages. Especially the used panties.

Wow , they really price it at a price that the whoever needs it , gets it ?,
I would think poor would not even consider cheap new undies vs. new 2nd hand undies 🤓🤷🏼‍♀️
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

When I upgrade my colorful shirts one of my local friends take the old ones and give them to "one of the bicycle boys".

Everybody involved in this process appears content :good:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Used to be possible to bring used clothes to Mad Monkey in BKK. Call them up to check. Could also just donate to those downstairs as you said. A few other places organizing drives now and then, but always have to look/search for them on Facebook.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ahyou!whyme?
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Ahyou!whyme? »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:57 pm The stuff is resold in secondary markets in the villages. Especially the used panties.

ffs
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Ahyou!whyme? wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:20 pm

ffs
Yeah, one has to wonder whether he's trying to be funny or continuing to look down his nose at khmers with his insinuations.

@newkidontheblock care to elaborate?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

If there's one thing I've learned here more than anything is that Khmers never let anything go to waste. They have a knack of finding value in everything, to the point where people will make a living (meagre living, admittedly) from dragging carts around all day (sadly, often children) picking up anything that they can possible create some value out of, no matter how small that value. Our westernised 'throwaway' society can learn a thing or two from the Khmers in this respect. In the UK, many years ago, we had 'rag and bone men' who did something similar. They would walk up and down our street with a cart every week or two when I was a kid, shouting 'rag and bone.... rag and bone...' and people would come out of their houses and give them useless bits of junk they no longer needed and probably couldn't even sell. These rag and bone men would somehow manage to find some kind of value in whatever they were given. Of course, this was in the same era that milk came in glass bottles which were cleaned and re-used (not recycled), people would get 10p cashback for every glass soda bottle they returned to the shop, groceries were packed in paper bags instead of plastic and electronic items were designed to be easily repaired when they became faulty, instead of people having to buy a new one.

I'm aware I completely went off on a tangent there, but my main point is, it really wouldn't be difficult to find a home for a large bag of clothes here, no matter what you decide to do with them. You'll either be helping to clothe someone who desperately needs it, or provide someone with a small amount of money when they sell them on. Either option works well.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic