Finding Cambodian Food Down Under

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Finding Cambodian Food Down Under

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Do you have favorite Cambodian restaurants or food stalls in Australia or NZ ?

My Cambodia — one of only three traditional Cambodian restaurants in Melbourne
17 hours ago
Google “Cambodian restaurant Melbourne” and just nine options come up. Three are traditional. Five are walking distance from each other in Springvale. In fact My Cambodia, Tasty Cambodian and Lemongrass Restaurant are all in a row on Buckingham Avenue.

While Melburnians are relatively well versed in pho, bun and banh mi, we don’t really know our amok from our samlor korko. I know Cambodian food has similarities to Vietnamese and Thai cuisine because it’s wedged between the two countries, but that’s about it. So I enlisted chef Jerry Mai to educate me. And by that I mean I crashed her regular mother-daughter lunch at My Cambodia.

Jerry, who has Bia Hoi restaurant in Glen Waverley and multiple Pho Nom venues, is Vietnamese. Her parents were born in Vietnam, but her father was raised in Cambodia. Growing up, their table was filled with Cambodian food. Her mother still cooks it.

Jerry’s mum insists that My Cambodia is the best of the Cambodian restaurants in Springvale. It seats about 25 people and looks like any of Victoria Street’s Vietnamese restaurants: thermoses of tea, condiments and tissue boxes are on each table; printed pictures of key dishes are stuck to the mirrored wall and there are golden waving cats scattered around the place.

We start with a minced pork dip that’s full of umami thanks to prahok, a fermented fish paste used in Khmer cooking that adds incredible depth of flavour. Sweet, savoury and spicy, it comes with chopped raw snake beans, cucumber slices and cabbage for dipping and scooping. Jerry says it’s always on her table as a side, and complements a spread of soup, rice, salad and something grilled.
More: https://www.3aw.com.au/sofia-reviews-my ... melbourne/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Finding Cambodian Food Down Under

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

There is no shortage of good and authentic Cambodian food in Cabramatta, NSW. Several places that I've eaten at over time but now off limits due to the greater Sydney Covid induced lockdowns and limit of 5 Km travel from one's place of residence include:

Phnom Penh Restaurant in the arcade at 15/73 John Street, Cabramatta, NSW
Battambang Cambodian and Chinese restaurant 16/70 John Street Cabramatta, NSW

Not sure what the current status of this restaurant is as the last couple of times in Cabramatta prior to lockdowns it has been shuttered:

Siem Reap Restaurant in the John Street end of Freedom Plaza, Cabramatta.

My favourite tends to be the rather small and always busy Phnom Penh Restaurant.

Probably more in the adjoining suburbs of Fairfield and Canly Vale, NSW

There is also one in Cremorne but I have never eaten there so can't comment.

OML
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Not Cambodian food but it's Cambodian, in Avondale Auckland NZ
Good cheap feed of "fush n chups"

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Many Thai places in Perth were owned by Cambodians. I would like to open a crab shack. I found a chap in Cairns who grows pepper. Not easy to find normally. Obviously there is no shortage of crabs.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I wouldn’t be seeking cambodian food wherever I would go , more interested in if there are a Burger King !
And how long before it’s not “ NEW “ anymore . Can’t they drop the new by now and call it the australien wales ? Image
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic