iPhone 13 to be launched this week

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: iPhone 13 to be launched this week

Post by AndyKK »

I arrived in Cambodia with my first ever Smartphone, being that of a Nokia X8, yes, a cheap but cheerful easy to use model. But unfortunately, it doesn’t matter if you have a cheap budget phone or that of a high-end market phone such has the new iPhone 13 to be launched soon. Both phones will suffer a similar result when accidently dropped onto a hard tiled bar floor. (I somehow don’t feel like I am alone in doing this task). Actually, it wasn’t like I was out on the piss, it happened in my own bar when I was working.

Only thing too be aware of after such a clumsy event, is what phone make you may have will make all the difference, has for mine at the time no one could repair the elusive Nokia X8 model for me, not being a model sold in large numbers compared to the likes of an iPhone, so the only thing left to do now was replace the phone.
At the time my Khmer friend who was also a manager at Smart had a spare phone, we did a deal, without money involved, a straight swop that suited us both, my old LCD tv for the unused Smartphones, a Microsoft Lumia 640LTE. You could say this was the beginning of my small collection, making the time up you could call it, for the many years of having an absence too this item, what could be referred to as a person’s normal daily technology.

Soon my daughter got wind of my small mishap and sorted me out with a Samsung Galaxy S6, so now I had a Windows phone and a analogue. At this time, I couldn’t tell anybody about the specs of each phone, I could tell anyone that you could make and receive a voice call, likewise messages, and take a photo.

The latter of the last sentence is what became the turning point for me and a new interest, plus a little more involvement in smartphones and photography.

Photography in its own right is an interest and enjoyable pastime to myself and many other people worldwide. The everyday item itself had made this hobby more assessable too people around the globe who if it was not for the phone would not otherwise have had the opportunity. I am not saying the Smartphone is better than a camera, to the purists who use such equipment (I have a camera too, but didn’t know how to use it). Yes, the purists in the art of photography will tell you clearly that a phone is what it is, simply to make and receive a call. The camera (real one) is for photography.

So, keeping the two items separate I joined one or two Cambodian clubs, and also on-line in my own country, and again because I also bought a second-hand camera that I know how to use, the Cambodian Fuji FinePix club.
One of the Smartphone clubs I joined, I had seemed to be banned just after joining, one or two of their members said I was not probably who I was, but of somebody else. Luckily, I had a Khmer friend in the club who voiced for knowing me personally, so was accepted and re-joined. I have had trouble in the past with other clubs that I have tried to join too, being rejected from Cambodian motorcycle clubs and the likes, the truth is simply some just don’t want foreigners in their clubs.

Now I have got used to my cameras I tend to juggle about with them and my Smartphones, but I must stress at this point it’s so easy to slip the handy phone from your pocket. It’s the one item that today most will have on themselves, and with such you can capture the moment at any time.

Talking about my collection to date, I have the previous two mentioned, plus a Microsoft Lumia 950, Galaxy Note 3, also a Sony Xperia SO-01J, Vivo Y12, and finally a Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018). All the Smartphone models have very good cameras that are easy to use, and note each phone is of value at around $100 or less.

Three photo examples –

Olympus E-PM1

Lumia 950 (night shot)

Sony SO-01j

Well, there is one thing, when like myself getting too an age when pixels don’t make much difference too old eyes. :hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Amazing

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

marketing
marketing
marketing
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

For many years it was a common back and forth between Android and Apple fanbois that Apple would always implement whatever Android phones had the previous year. The Apple fanboi retort would be that Apple are busy making their own new innovations and keep putting out the best phone (by X or Y criteria) without crowbarring in whatever another company happens to have prioritised that year. You're getting Apple innovation, you know, the kind that brought you the original iPhone (a big step forward in the concept of a smartphone), the iPhone 3G (which made it practical), the iPhone 4 (Retina display), 4S (Siri)...

(Personally I largely stayed on the fence; I've always had iPhones but begrudgingly because of being locked into their ecosystem, so I've no love for them.)

But these days it's just gotten silly. The new iPhone doesn't support Wifi 6E, which first appeared in 2020 on Android phones, and instead has chosen to focus on introducing their new feature of... fuck all.

I'm trying to list every difference I can think of off the top of my head between the iPhone 4S and the 13 other than raw specs (cpu/display/camera) and I can't think of anything beyond Face ID, Portrait Mode, and getting rid of the headphone jack. I think they made it mildly waterproof or something at some point?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Android has their system, Apple has their system.

It boils down to a matter of choice of which system one wants to be ‘locked’ into.

I believe choice is a good thing.

I’m still waiting for the new iPhone to come out before deciding whether or not to upgrade.

As for 5G max. Some of the new iPhones have it. Had it since the previous generation. I have it.

How many times have I gotten that signal?

Once or twice. It’s a very short range signal that will require a huge build out in order for it to be everywhere. Think years, maybe a decade for full adoption.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic