England plunged into darkness

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
UKJ
Expatriate

England plunged into darkness

Post by UKJ »

Street lights are being switched off or dimmed to save money in three-quarters of England's council areas, according to Labour Party research.
The party said much of Britain was being "plunged into darkness", claiming the number of lights switched off had "soared" in recent years.
It comes after councils warned of "huge financial challenges" after next year's government grants were announced.
Ministers say services have been maintained despite spending cuts.
In recent years, authorities across the UK have been switching off street lighting after midnight, to varying degrees, to save money.
Safety concerns
The move is opposed by motoring groups, with the AA saying it has contributed to car crashes.
But the Campaign to Protect Rural England has previously called for more councils to dim lights to "reduce the impact of light pollution".
Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles has previously said switching off street lights can save a "phenomenal amount of money" and cut crime.
Labour said 141 of the 150 English councils responsible for street lighting had responded to its survey, with 50 switching off some lights at night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30569215

We send foreign aid to countries that don't need it, and hate us, while we fumble around in the dark! ( slight exaggeration - allowed by taxpayers who's money is mis spent)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: England plunged into darkness

Post by StroppyChops »

^ that's bold.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I fully support this. There's no need for this ugly light pollution in many residential areas after midnight anyway. They should turn off traffic lights when there's no traffic also.
StroppyChops wrote:^ that's bold.
LOL.
Scarier than malaria.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I know I'm missing something obvious here, but wouldn't poor street lighting be likely to lead to an increase in crime.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:I know I'm missing something obvious here, but wouldn't poor street lighting be likely to lead to an increase in crime.
Normally when someone makes a counterintuitive claim you'd expect them to provide some evidence or justification. Newspapers however will publish anything and everything so long as it can be placed in speech marks and attributed to someone else. You may as well get your information from a toilet wall.
Scarier than malaria.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They should just barricade those areas and switch off the services for good.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

ali baba wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:I know I'm missing something obvious here, but wouldn't poor street lighting be likely to lead to an increase in crime.
Normally when someone makes a counterintuitive claim you'd expect them to provide some evidence or justification. Newspapers however will publish anything and everything so long as it can be placed in speech marks and attributed to someone else. You may as well get your information from a toilet wall.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/w ... 54114.html

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/1078 ... ff/?ref=rc

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1163992 ... sh/?ref=mr

Common sense should inform people that accidents and crime will increase. It will take time for the figures to highlight that. It's especially dangerous for young women heading home after a night out, or who work late. Channel 4 news had a report about it( Monday).

Light pollution - People stay in cities for jobs and amenities. If they were bothered about light pollution, they would live in the country with other tree huggers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic