Buy a brand new car in Cambodia or import used car from Europe?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Malvagik
Tourist
Greece

Buy a brand new car in Cambodia or import used car from Europe?

Post by Malvagik »

Good Afternoon all,

I'm considering to buy a new Ford Territory for 46.500usd here in PP. My question is simple, would be more convenient to buy a second end BMW 320 in Europe for 20k euro ++ and ship it to Cambodia, or with taxes and all costs I'll end up paying more than the ford territory? I'm just so pissed to spend almost 50k for a ford worthed only 20k in the Philippines and many other countries, here in cambodia it costs double the price.
If I must spend that much, i am thinking, maybe is better to go for a used BMW 4/5 years old and ship it here? At least it's good car. What's the best option you'd consider?

Thanks 😁
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Buy a brand new car in Cambodia or import used car from Europe?

Post by Bluenose »

Firstly duty and taxes on a 2 litre car come to 122.75%. Secondly the value that the duty and taxes will be charged on will be subject to a minimum value specified in a book held by Customs that is based on make/model, cc, and year of production/model, all of which might give a price in excess of what you actually paid for it. The freight costs are also added on to the car value to get the amount that duty and tax are levied on. That's the official way anyway...
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

import taxes can be reduced if you get to know the right people with good connections. Making a "deal" before arrival of the used car is essential.
work is for people who cant find truffles
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote - I'm just so pissed to spend almost 50k for a ford worthed only 20k.

I think you may have already answered your own question.

It maybe better to save your money, cars are very expensive in this country, and import is expensive also.
Good luck with your choice, please keep us informed.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Rental ?
Possible that local mechanics sucks depending on the brand
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

If money is the main concern, simply buy a used Toyota or Lexus here. Anything else you better get used to paying out exhorbitant prices, either for the car, or for its maintainance.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
NeneMatthew
Tourist

Post by NeneMatthew »

I stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd drop in my two cents. I feel you on the frustration of paying double for a car that's worth way less in other countries. It's just not fair! As for your question, importing a used car from Europe might seem like a cheaper option at first, but when you factor in all the taxes and shipping costs, it might end up being just as expensive, if not more, than buying a brand new car here in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic