Australia, US and UK form AUKUS a new nuclear defence pact

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Australia, US and UK form AUKUS a new nuclear defence pact

Post by nemo »

Scott Morrison will announce Australia’s submarine program will “go nuclear” under a new defence pact that could spell bad news for China.

The new grouping to be known as AUUKUS will advise Australia on how to identify the best way to acquire nuclear-powered submarine capability and share advanced technologies involving artificial intelligence.

The US-based Politico website reports that President Joe Biden will announce a new working group with Britain and Australia to share advanced technologies to counter China at 7am AEST.

“The trio, which will be known by the acronym AUUKUS, will make it easier for the nations to share information and know-how in key technological areas like artificial intelligence, cyber, underwater systems and long-range strike capabilities,’’ the report states.

There would be a “nuclear element to the pact in which the US and UK share their knowledge of how to maintain nuclear-defense infrastructure.”

Senior ministers were rushing back to Canberra on Wednesday night for national security meetings ahead of the major announcement.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 7c8157951b
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australia, US and UK form AUUKUS a new nuclear defence pact

Post by nemo »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I bet Uncle Stern will have something to say about this...
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I can't imagine this will go down well with Australians.

The sub deal they currently have with France is already 10 years behind schedule and with big cost over-runs.

There is an obvious reason why this decision was taken.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Can someone remind me what the great military threat from China is again?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Can someone remind me what the great military threat from China is again?
The Nine Dash Line, and recent proclamation that all ships transiting the area must report to PRC authorities, despite losing territorial claims to the area in international court.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:13 am Can someone remind me what the great military threat from China is again?
This is in preparation.

There is no imminent existential threat.....but China is making huge soft power moves.......influence peddling in far flung regions like Africa and most recently Afghanistan.......need I highlight their abrupt infiltration into Cambodia in recent years.

They are pushing boundaries in the South China Sea.........seeing how far they can go with regards to the territorial claims of the Philippines, Vietnam, etc.

.....If this trend continues......some world power is going to pull China's card.

........What China would do next if that happened is the big question.

This new pact is just part of preparing for the worst and not getting caught with one's pants down......should China get a hair up their ass and want to get real uppity on the world stage.

It's about shoring up alliances.......showing solidarity........Don't think for one second the CCP didn't notice this development......and that was part of the plan.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

France isn't happy.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Brody wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:29 am
xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:13 am Can someone remind me what the great military threat from China is again?
This is in preparation.

There is no imminent existential threat.....but China is making huge soft power moves.......influence peddling in far flung regions like Africa and most recently Afghanistan.......need I highlight their abrupt infiltration into Cambodia in recent years.

They are pushing boundaries in the South China Sea.........seeing how far they can go with regards to the territorial claims of the Philippines, Vietnam, etc.

.....If this trend continues......some world power is going to pull China's card.

........What China would do next if that happened is the big question.

This new pact is just part of preparing for the worst and not getting caught with one's pants down......should China get a hair up their ass and want to get real uppity on the world stage.

It's about shoring up alliances.......showing solidarity........Don't think for one second the CCP didn't notice this development......and that was part of the plan.
We prepare for trouble = China feels threatened = China prepares for trouble = The west feels even more threatened = The west prepares even more for trouble = China feels even more threatened = China prepares for even more trouble = etc = etc = Welcome to Cold War II.

Honestly, I despair at humanity sometimes. The worst thing is that it doesn't have to be like this. Every conflict, every gun fired, every missile launched, every threat to mankind is a result of conscious decisions made by people who we supposedly choose to lead us. The world could be whatever we want it to be. The reason it's full of war and conflict, is because that's how those in power make it.

One day we'll move past all of this but we're still several generations away from that.

If we make it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 am One day we'll move past all of this
The organizing principle of any society, is for war. The authority of the state over its people resides in its war powers.

Just taking the piss a bit. I appreciate your optimism. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic