Do you agree with mandatory vaccinations

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

do you agree with mandatory Vaccinations?

Yes
40%
No
56%
no coment
4%

Total votes: 96
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Do you agree with mandatory vaccinations

Post by ItWasntMe »

hdgh29 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:35 am I have just been reading about Denmark lifting all Covid restrictions - why? Because 84% of the population is fully vaccinated. Also new anti-viral treatments are being developed to improve medical care for patients with the virus. New Zealand is also on track for this by December. OK they both have small populations (around 5 million) and a reasonably compliant society. But where would you rather live - Copenhagen, Auckland, or Birmingham?
And do any of the Scandinavian countries have mandatory vaccination? Nope. They have education and personal responsibility.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

I'm all for getting vaccinated. Forcing people to get vaccinated I am not.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 am I am not sure what is involved with mandatory so, if it means mandatory across the board, regardless, obviously against putting people with adverse reactions at risk.

If it means mandatory, with those exceptions, I'm still against it.

I am, however, for mandatory with medical exceptions, and anyone else who can successfully submit a plausible excuse why they feel they have the right to possibly kill another human being.
Yeah, I wondered that too..is it:

1. mandatory (with no exceptions), or

2. mandatory (with some exceptions)?

I suspect this may have skewed the poll result somewhat. There may have been votes for 2, but thinking it meant 1, slipped into 'No'.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

violet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:51 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:42 pm
violet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:39 pm Hello.

You talk about a fully vaccinated population being the way out for polio - yep. A one off vaccination. When the entire population is vaccinated the disease can’t survive.

Then you talk about the flu. A flu vaccine does not stop the flu being in our environment, spread and caught. It requires regular jabs each year. Many never have a flu jab. I have only ever had two in my life for example.

It makes sense to make something like the polio vaccine mandatory. Or Yellow Fever for entry to some countries. But general consensus is that covid-19, like the flu, will never be eliminated. So, it isn’t logical to compare it to mandatory vaccines that enable a disease to be eliminated from a population.

It ought to be compared to a flu jab. Covid-19 would still exist spread and be caught even if we were 100% vaccinated worldwide, because the vaccines are not made to eliminate the virus, their design means they reduce rather than eliminate. Those who are vulnerable, and who choose to, have the flu jab. Those who are vulnerable, and who choose to, should have the covid jab.

It’s not logical to mandate the vaccines when they reduce rather than eliminate. If they produce a vaccine that eliminates, I’d say mandate it immediately worldwide.
Looks like a reasoning designed for Covid which doesn't hold in the real word.

How about Hepatitis B or TB vaccines? Those vaccines do not offer a 100% protection, but the chances of contracting the disease decrease immensely after a vaccination. Some people need boosters for Hepatitis too.
In the Western world these vaccines with an efficacy of 70-100% have worked out to a near-elimination, and I am sure 99% of the people discussing vaccines here have had several hepatitis jabs without a 100% guarantee, and the smart ones residing in Cambodia had their TB shots as well i hope.

If these vaccines would have been treated as the covid vaccine with only 60-70% being vaccinated I am sure the near elimination would not have happened.
Fair point there. But hep vaccines and tb vaccines aren’t mandatory. Why a need to make covid vaccines mandatory? The very push to do so gets the backs up of many who might otherwise have chosen to get it. Regardless of if that is selfishness, it’s a human reaction.
Yes, not mandatory, but well over 95% takes them. Hence the near-elimination.

With covid there's simply no way that's going to happen anytime soon. Not only because of antivax - near elimination simply takes decades.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Mandatory for what exactly?

For merely existing, NO. For air travel, YES. Next time I fly, I don't want to have unvaccinated people sitting anywhere near me.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Alex wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:09 am Mandatory for what exactly?

For merely existing, NO. For air travel, YES. Next time I fly, I don't want to have unvaccinated people sitting anywhere near me.
What about unvaccinated people who have recovered from Covid ?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Cooldude wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:23 am

The problem is loads of (unvaccinated) people are convinced they have had covid but blood tests can not confirm it. Some people refuse the vaccine because of their conviction they're already protected because they went through the disease, or at least are convinced they went through it.
Most smart countries will treat a positive antibody test like a vaccination card. So for me, on a plane, a positive antibody test will do. A claim they had it, nope.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why?
just cause ur vaccinated does not mean you can't catch it or spread it> Vaccinated protects you...NOT others

Sorry i was not more specific in my poll
Mandatory mean you must have it if you wish to be sociable, travel, work etc etc leave ur home
Guess i should have added mandatory " EXCEPT for medical or religious reasons"

I still vote NO..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:30 am
Cooldude wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:23 am

The problem is loads of (unvaccinated) people are convinced they have had covid but blood tests can not confirm it. Some people refuse the vaccine because of their conviction they're already protected because they went through the disease, or at least are convinced they went through it.
Most smart countries will treat a positive antibody test like a vaccination card. So for me, on a plane, a positive antibody test will do. A claim they had it, nope.
Nobody knows at this point how long antibodies from the vaccine last. So, if you gave an antibody test to someone who was vaccinated 9 months ago, they might not have a positive antibody test either.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 am

why?
just cause ur vaccinated does not mean you can't catch it or spread it> Vaccinated protects you...NOT others

Because people are trying to minimize the risk of catching this virus?

Some activities are simply higher risk than others and sitting 4 inches away from someone in an enclosed aluminum tube with limited ventilation for a few hours isn't a low risk activity so it seems.

Have you not changed anything in your life to prevent yourself from catching this virus?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic