Do you agree with mandatory vaccinations

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

do you agree with mandatory Vaccinations?

Yes
40%
No
56%
no coment
4%

Total votes: 96
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Do you agree with mandatory vaccinations

Post by hanno »

Many vaccinations are already mandatory when travelling to certain regions: schoolkids in the US must get vaccinated, many countries require yellow fever shots.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

hanno wrote:Many vaccinations are already mandatory when travelling to certain regions: schoolkids in the US must get vaccinated, many countries require yellow fever shots.
Those vaccines have been around for decades and have a long track record (the doctor can tell you what the possible long term side effects are).

There is no possible way to conclude that the covid mRna and or regular covid vaccines don't have any long term negative side effects. Hence for a virus that primarily affects elderly and sick people and hardly anyone healthy below 70, the people that want the vax should take it or quarentine themselves and everyone else should go back to living.

In regards of the argument that unvaxed people with covid related issues shouldn't have priority over other people that need urgent medical care, I agree. This should also be the case if you are unhealthy by your own doing (smoking, drugs or obesity)..

Last edited by Equinix on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

hdgh29 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm Most governments are coming to the conclusion that restrictions and lockdowns can only ever be a temporary solution, and the hope of a permanent return to personal freedom (socalising, exercising, bars, restaurants, sports events etc) relies on a fully vaccinated population - just like polio, TB or any number of problems that are under control. Given we are in a age of craziness, if we want to return to some sort of normality we cannot tolerate those who refuse voluntary vaccination, despite the fact they may have genuine fears and concerns. Mandatory? Does that mean compulsory? I effing hope so. Covid may always be with us, like the flu or like malaria, but if its under control we can get our lives back.
Refuseniks? take em out back and shoot em. Under rule 303.
BTW yes I have had two shots of Sinopharm. I dont know if it will really do any good, its more of a PR exercise, so I can say "I am safe, I've had the jab". Its a bit like playing the lottery. A lot of folks tell you its a waste of money, you will never win. But you stand even less chance of winning if you dont buy a ticket.
Hello.

You talk about a fully vaccinated population being the way out for polio - yep. A one off vaccination. When the entire population is vaccinated the disease can’t survive.

Then you talk about the flu. A flu vaccine does not stop the flu being in our environment, spread and caught. It requires regular jabs each year. Many never have a flu jab. I have only ever had two in my life for example.

It makes sense to make something like the polio vaccine mandatory. Or Yellow Fever for entry to some countries. But general consensus is that covid-19, like the flu, will never be eliminated. So, it isn’t logical to compare it to mandatory vaccines that enable a disease to be eliminated from a population.

It ought to be compared to a flu jab. Covid-19 would still exist spread and be caught even if we were 100% vaccinated worldwide, because the vaccines are not made to eliminate the virus, their design means they reduce rather than eliminate. Those who are vulnerable, and who choose to, have the flu jab. Those who are vulnerable, and who choose to, should have the covid jab.

It’s not logical to mandate the vaccines when they reduce rather than eliminate. If they produce a vaccine that eliminates, I’d say mandate it immediately worldwide.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Vaccination should always be an individuals choice.
While I agree in principle, I think it gets murkier with children. What about them? Just a few years ago, not vaccinating a child for polio, the measles and so on would be considered child abuse. Now it seems like there's a backlash against even well established vaccines.
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:11 pm
While I agree on principle, I think it gets murkier with children. What about them? Just a few years ago, not vaccinating a child for polio, the measles and so on would be considered child abuse. Now it seems like there's a backlash against even well established vaccines.
For children, their legal guardian can decide on their behalf.

I'm pro vaccine btw, but also am pro choice
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

hdgh29 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm Most governments are coming to the conclusion that restrictions and lockdowns can only ever be a temporary solution, and the hope of a permanent return to personal freedom (socalising, exercising, bars, restaurants, sports events etc) relies on a fully vaccinated population - just like polio, TB or any number of problems that are under control. Given we are in a age of craziness, if we want to return to some sort of normality we cannot tolerate those who refuse voluntary vaccination, despite the fact they may have genuine fears and concerns. Mandatory? Does that mean compulsory? I effing hope so. Covid may always be with us, like the flu or like malaria, but if its under control we can get our lives back.
Refuseniks? take em out back and shoot em. Under rule 303.

BTW yes I have had two shots of Sinopharm. I dont know if it will really do any good, its more of a PR exercise, so I can say "I am safe, I've had the jab". Its a bit like playing the lottery. A lot of folks tell you its a waste of money, you will never win. But you stand even less chance of winning if you dont buy a ticket.
I share your view with the first bit. However, with the 2nd...

I think the odds are a bit better than lottery, more like the chance of winning a free Cambodia beer when you lift that ring pull. I'd say 1 in 3 on most days. :beer3:
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:19 pm
While I agree on principle, I think it gets murkier with children. What about them? Just a few years ago, not vaccinating a child for polio, the measles and so on would be considered child abuse. Now it seems like there's a backlash against even well established vaccines.

Children have a greater natural immunity & it is not necessary to vaccinate them!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yobbo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm

Children have a greater natural immunity & it is not necessary to vaccinate them!
For covid, agree. But my kids have all the usual childhood jabs that are used for decades now with good reason
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 pm
Yobbo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm

For covid, agree. But my kids have all the usual childhood jabs that are used for decades now with good reason
Yes but to generalize those reasons is not a good enough reason! It has already been stated on this forum that a natural immunity is more beneficial. And I would take the word of the gospel :hattip:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Nobody has ever had "natural immunity" to diseases like Polio or Smallpox.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic