The Khmer wedding

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

The Khmer wedding

Post by Jacket »

It's been week number three of being back in Cambodia and I've spent most of that time with my GF's family in the middle of absolutely nowhere in Kampong Cham province. Asside from there not being running water, her brother that demolished my moto and the mosquitos that are sucking me dry (and someother small issues) it's been rather relaxing and peaceful...
...so far. Until yesterday. Yesterday our neighbors hired a dozen people or so, to build tents and set up the sound system for todays wedding. That sound system has been testing my patience ever since.What is it with Khmer festivities that convince them to ALWAYS blast the entire neighborhood with horrible music? Surely, the people you invited and who want to come know what's up, so why do you insist on making your party an issue for everybody else.Why can't you turn down the music at least a little bit. I wager the music wouldn't even be so awful if the Khmers didn't insist on turning the volume so high that the speakers distort the sound, but I'm rambling. Sorry.I need something to get my mind off this crap. This ain't the first time I've witnessed this kind of ceremony, but before I've always had the luxury of being able to leave.

Who knows. Maybe I'm just a whiney Westerner, but when I asked my missus about whether she liked this at her wedding (she was married before but her husband passed away) she said "No". That is the thing; it's difficult for me to imagine that they find this very enjoyable themselves so why do they do it? Is it just tradition? Is there more to it? I don't know. Or maybe annoyingly loud music that is being played over shitty speakers that can't handle the volume and distort the sound are just the best thing ever and I'm just a stupid Barang that doesn't know how to organize an enjoyable party.
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: The Khmer wedding

Post by Anchor Moy »

More important to look/sound like you are having a fun time than actually having one. :ROFL:

In the meantime good luck - and don't forget your earplugs next visit.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Congratulations. Better you than me. :thumb:
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

Welcome back to the kingdom......it's only 24 hours....
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

I was just thinking today that maybe sometime I'll find the guy with the best (efficient, smaller mass to move fast :) sound system and wake em up BLASTING Shine On You Crazy Diamond, followed by MachineGun and maybe some Raw Power. Just to get in my two cents. Not that I'd do it it where I live :)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jacket wrote:It's been week number three of being back in Cambodia and I've spent most of that time with my GF's family in the middle of absolutely nowhere in Kampong Cham province. Asside from there not being running water, her brother that demolished my moto and the mosquitos that are sucking me dry (and someother small issues) it's been rather relaxing and peaceful...
...so far. Until yesterday. Yesterday our neighbors hired a dozen people or so, to build tents and set up the sound system for todays wedding. That sound system has been testing my patience ever since.What is it with Khmer festivities that convince them to ALWAYS blast the entire neighborhood with horrible music? Surely, the people you invited and who want to come know what's up, so why do you insist on making your party an issue for everybody else.Why can't you turn down the music at least a little bit. I wager the music wouldn't even be so awful if the Khmers didn't insist on turning the volume so high that the speakers distort the sound, but I'm rambling. Sorry.I need something to get my mind off this crap. This ain't the first time I've witnessed this kind of ceremony, but before I've always had the luxury of being able to leave.

Who knows. Maybe I'm just a whiney Westerner, but when I asked my missus about whether she liked this at her wedding (she was married before but her husband passed away) she said "No". That is the thing; it's difficult for me to imagine that they find this very enjoyable themselves so why do they do it? Is it just tradition? Is there more to it? I don't know. Or maybe annoyingly loud music that is being played over shitty speakers that can't handle the volume and distort the sound are just the best thing ever and I'm just a stupid Barang that doesn't know how to organize an enjoyable party.
(IMHO) You should not have complained about it if you decided to marry Khmer girl. In the Rome you should do what The Romans do. Actaully those songs are really important for our trandition. They are the most meaningful songs. i wish there was someone had translated or told you the meaning of the songs. Ok let's me give you a brief of those songs. Those songs are all about the life after marriage and they teach both bride and groom about how to live together peacefully and etc. i think she lied you when she said she didn't like those songs or perhaps she didn't want to upset you. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic