Islamists in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Islamists in Cambodia?

Post by Soi Dog »

I didn't want to derail the Snow thread, but I read this in the link someone provided there...
“Whether it was about Islamic militants who were scouting the capital a decade ago or the constant political machinations of his commune, Snow’s knowledge and advice was as sound as it was welcomed, more so after a hot day with a cold beer,”
I had never heard that before. Were the Chams aggressive back then? I knew they were persecuted quite heavily by the KR.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Islamists in Cambodia?

Post by StroppyChops »

Struggled to get by some burka-clad lasses at the TTP market today, they were clearly intent on owning the space. Winged 'em. Communication complete. Little Khmer guy who was also trying to get past was all smiles.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Soi Dog wrote:I didn't want to derail the Snow thread, but I read this in the link someone provided there...
“Whether it was about Islamic militants who were scouting the capital a decade ago or the constant political machinations of his commune, Snow’s knowledge and advice was as sound as it was welcomed, more so after a hot day with a cold beer,”
I had never heard that before. Were the Chams aggressive back then? I knew they were persecuted quite heavily by the KR.
I think they might be refering to a decade ago from now. Which would most likely be refering to Hambali.
http://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/h ... enh-40151/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riduan_Isamuddin
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Username Taken wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:I didn't want to derail the Snow thread, but I read this in the link someone provided there...
I think they might be refering to a decade ago from now. Which would most likely be refering to Hambali.
http://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/h ... enh-40151/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riduan_Isamuddin
Interesting. I had never heard of any Cambodia connection to that sequence of events.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

In general, I do not see them as militaristic, however there has been a notable change in their attire; I too have seen a burqua clad woman on the back of a moto on the way to Souang. That sight was unusual to me as the women here in Kampong Cham province usually wear a scarf to cove r their hair. It was so unusual that I had to get closer on my moto before I realised it was a woman and not a small ninja. The story I hear is that since they are poor they have to go hat in hand to the Near Eastern countries to get money to build mosques, etc. and it is those countries which demand that they become more conservative if they want the money.
As for terrorism, I think that the Cham people at Boeung Kok were accused of hiding a wanted terrorist either from the Philippines or Indonesia. But it was a while ago and the details evade my memory.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Do the Cham eat pork, generally speaking? Are Cham men allowed to take multiple wives?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

No, the Cham do not eat pork. In fact in the Khmer regime, they were sometimes forced to eat it. As for wives I don't really know, but I suppose some do. Why not? Cambodian men sometimes do. In fact the honorific for the first wife is prapuondaem( wife (khmai) + daem original.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic