Days, Months, Seasons (In Khmer Language)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Days, Months, Seasons (In Khmer Language)

Post by Mr Curious »

most excellent contribution and idea, I'd say give this person a pinned forum heading. Khmer contributors would make this a most productive source.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Rama wrote:Good stuff Samouth!
Can you read and write Khmer? If you can please add Khmer script to your lists. Thanks!

Did you know that according to According to ancient Cambodian writings there were six seasons of 59 days each: ហេមន្តៈ, រដូវរងា cold season; សិសិរៈ, រដូវរងាខ្លាំង very cold season; វសន្តៈ, រដូវស្លឹកឈើលាស់ season of growth (in trees); គិម្ហៈ, រដូវក្ដៅ hot season; វស្សានៈ, រដូវភ្លៀង rainy season; សរទៈ, រដូវចុះអ័ព្ទ foggy season.

Now we must be in the very cold season Image

I do sir. I am Cambodian. I think you know khmer more than me. Frankly speaking, i didn't realise that we have six seasons in Cambodia. I heard only some of those seasons, but i didn't really pay attention on them as they are pali. There is no reason to learn pali since the majority of us (Cambodian) don't know it. Only the monks and prists learn Pali. In our lanuage, we borrowed a lot of words from pali. I only know some of them but not all. Are you a student of Khmer Literature ? Pali word is really hard to pronouce. :D
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Mr Curious wrote:most excellent contribution and idea, I'd say give this person a pinned forum heading. Khmer contributors would make this a most productive source.

Thanks. If you guys like it, there will be more lessons to come. :)

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Samouth wrote:
Mr Curious wrote:most excellent contribution and idea, I'd say give this person a pinned forum heading. Khmer contributors would make this a most productive source.

Please add Khmer script next to the phonetic spelling...Lots of foreigners learning Khmer will be learning reading and writing in addition to talking.

l am trying to study literature, but am busy with other commitments so don't get as much time to study as I'd like.
But reviewing basic/essential words always helps.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Rama wrote:
Samouth wrote:

Please add Khmer script next to the phonetic spelling...Lots of foreigners learning Khmer will be learning reading and writing in addition to talking.

l am trying to study literature, but am busy with other commitments so don't get as much time to study as I'd like.
But reviewing basic/essential words always helps.

it is ok, i will add khmer script in my next post. it is really great that you know how to read.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic