Cambodia to reopen to Tourists

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia to reopen to Tourists

Post by nerdlinger »

That’s an awful situation. Why aren’t you eligible for spouse visa?
This sounds like the kind of situation where it’s worth spending the money on a proper immigration lawyer.
Ahyou!whyme?
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Ahyou!whyme? »

BongSamlang wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:21 pm Hi, I'm stuck for 1/5 years in europe. I left cambodia on March 10th 2020 for Europe to finish some business here and now i can't come back to my wife and my 2 stepchildren. I'm really desperate slowly, even thinking to open a import /export company so i can come back to Cambodia to be reunited with my family. Anyone know if thats sufficient to get a visa to visit or stay with my family? The requirements to travel on a business visa also require a tax statement for the years past but if i open a new company we can't provide the statement.
Any clues what i should do?

I'm in Austria btw. If that helps?

Thanks so much
You're better asking on the Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group on Facebook. People on there will point you in the right direction. I'm not 100%, but I think some embassies might issue a visa to someone in your situation. Good luck.
D Shay
Tourist

Post by D Shay »

BongSamlang wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:21 pm Hi, I'm stuck for 1/5 years in europe. I left cambodia on March 10th 2020 for Europe to finish some business here and now i can't come back to my wife and my 2 stepchildren. I'm really desperate slowly, even thinking to open a import /export company so i can come back to Cambodia to be reunited with my family. Anyone know if thats sufficient to get a visa to visit or stay with my family? The requirements to travel on a business visa also require a tax statement for the years past but if i open a new company we can't provide the statement.

Thanks so much
I was able to get an ordinary visa in January by flying to Thailand, doing the two weeks quarantine, then going to the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok with documentation of my wife and child being in Cambodia and asking politely for a visa. The consular officer invited me into the private room and interviewed me and asked why I didn't get the visa in my home country (couldn't) and ultimately gave me the visa. I showed him foreign marriage certificate, child's birth certificate, letter from my wife inviting me, and proof of having lots of money in the bank. Oh, and my negative COVID test from exiting quarantine that morning.

I believe another poster here also got the visa in Bangkok without proof of employment in Cambodia. No guarantees though.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It all depends on the Cambodian embassy in question. Ambassadors set the rules. Only way is to ask the Cambodian embassy in Austria. Even with a visa, there is still the maze of air travel - differing requirements from the transfer hubs, and $2000, quarantine for 2 weeks, multiple covid tests to reach your heart’s desire. Good luck!

That’s why I opted to bring Missus to me. Long and tortuous road to get the US visa, but well worth it. She is now enjoying ‘the hell’ of getting 2 Pfizer vaccines, with the booster in December or so. Everything is opened back up. No alcohol bans. No yellow tape quarantine zones. As long as we take precautions - double masks gloves face shields hand sanitizer - knock on wood all will be fine. Amazon brings stuff in 2 days or less.

Please stay safe out there!

Hope the virus passes soon and everything returns to normal.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Uncle-V wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:03 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:02 pm

As for me, the deal breaker is the 2 weeks quarantine, plus the 2 weeks home quarantine on arrival in the US before going back to work. Most employers aren’t going to grant 5 week+ vacation stretch.
Yeah the QT is indeed a dealbreaker.

I guess Cambodia could try to do the sandbox option like Thailand (though I've read it has been a bit of a disappointment for the Thais). The problem is where would the Cambodian sandbox be? PP is not the greatest tourist destination (note for everyone I personally love it), SR is a possibility but I am not sure many regular tourist types would really want to spend a week there, Siounakville is a Shithole, the Islands are nice but too small to accommodate tourists in any bigger numbers...
I think siem reap is the only realistic place for a sandbox type thing in Cambodia. Not loads to do for 2 weeks but if you had a nice hotel with pool, option to visit Angkor wat it would be good. And could save a dying town.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nemo wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:38 pm Will be a stampede of expats from Vietnam at the first sniff of a chance.
For some vaccine, if nothing else.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:46 pm She's absolutely right - Cambodia should not depend on neigboring countries as a "tack-on" destination.
That's ways been the issue, and the fact that there is no national carrier means they rely on other countries and companies to give access.

Perhaps when the new airport is finished there may be some more direct flights but for now Cambodia won't open properly until the neighbours do
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ahyou!whyme? wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:44 am

Thanks so much
You're better asking on the Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group on Facebook. People on there will point you in the right direction. I'm not 100%, but I think some embassies might issue a visa to someone in your situation. Good luck.
yep;
I know 2 people that have gotten a ordinary visa to return to their families, one in the states, one in Bangkok.
Both had to show LOTS of docs, marriage license, photos of the kid ( s) an really plead their case IN PERSON<but they did it.
Bangkok he had to even show a negative covid test JUST to get in the embassy!

good luck
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
D Shay
Tourist

Post by D Shay »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:17 am Only way is to ask the Cambodian embassy in Austria.
Or ask another Cambodian embassy, like the one in Bangkok.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

D Shay wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:17 am Only way is to ask the Cambodian embassy in Austria.
Or ask another Cambodian embassy, like the one in Bangkok.
Can a Cambodian embassy outside of a home country issue a visa is there is already an embassy in that country?

Hypothetically speaking, say this is possible.

What if the Cambodian embassy in Thailand demands the person make an in-person interview, like another poster who lives in Thailand said he had to do?

The poster asking the visa question lives in Europe. His wife and family are living in Cambodia.

Does he then go through the Phuket sandbox scheme, take weeks of quarantine time, pay thousands of Baht and deposit even more into a Thai bank, endure multiple rounds of testing, just so he can fly to Thailand, and make an appointment at the Cambodian embassy in Thailand?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic