Thailand Moved to UK Covid Red List

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thailand Moved to UK Covid Red List

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Breaking news for Brits who want to return home from Thailand. From 4am on Monday 30 August 2021, you will have to book a quarantine hotel package in the UK on your return if you are arriving from Thailand.
This will even apply to tourists who stayed in the "Phuket Sandbox" program apparently. This is unconfirmed, but the UK government Red List quarantine rules do not mention any dispensations.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-a ... ng-england
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Thailand Moved to UK Covid Red List

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

That's not going to help any of their tourism recovery schemes in the short term, being one of their bigger markets for independent tourists.. Costly hotel quarantine on the way into the Phuket Sandbox or wherever, and then another £2,000+ of hotel fees on your return to the UK. Mega expensive holiday.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

It's a bit bloody rich of the UK.

Some Daily numbers:

UK.
Cases...38281 (of which 100% are Delta)
Deaths...140

Thailand
Cases 18,501 ( +84 )
Deaths 229 ( -68 )

It's a bit like making people have a shower before working in the sewer.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I think the new UK quarantine will apply to all travellers from Thailand - no exemption for the Phuket sandbox tourists.

It's interesting that the reasons given by the UK include the high rate of infections in Thailand and also the low rates of sequencing tests on those infected. The UK quite likes to know how many have Delta, even if Thailand doesn't!

UK tourists with time on their hands can no doubt go home via a third country, staying there ten days. Turkey?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:12 am I think the new UK quarantine will apply to all travellers from Thailand - no exemption for the Phuket sandbox tourists.

It's interesting that the reasons given by the UK include the high rate of infections in Thailand and also the low rates of sequencing tests on those infected. The UK quite likes to know how many have Delta, even if Thailand doesn't!

UK tourists with time on their hands can no doubt go home via a third country, staying there ten days. Turkey?
Turkey is on the Red List too.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Given the previous cost of quarantine in the UK, it might be cheaper to fly to Cambodia, do 2 weeks quarantine there, and then fly to the UK.

Oh, the irony…
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:34 am Given the previous cost of quarantine in the UK, it might be cheaper to fly to Cambodia, do 2 weeks quarantine there, and then fly to the UK.

Oh, the irony…
or you could just fly to & have a 10 day holiday in a green/amber country whilst on the way back to the UK. Easier, cheaper & much more enjoyable than mandatory hotel quarantine
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Realistically, I doubt there are that many British tourists in Thailand right now anyhow. This will almost exclusively affect expats who live there and plan to return to the UK for whatever reason.

Great idea about quarantining in a cheaper green list country on the way back. I may well be going back to the UK in the next month or so and if Cambodia were to be put on the red list in the meantime, this is certainly something I'd do.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I cannot see any justification for most of the UK's restrictions. It is 18 months too late.

The UK have high infection rates, high vaccination rates and relatively low hospitalisation and death rates. It's in pretty good shape, all things considered. Delta is doing it's thing and it is generally accepted that two shots of vaccine plus a mild infection afterwards to give you naturally occurring antibodies puts you in about as good a position as possible. It's time to start getting on with life.

The UK is 100% Delta now, all the other ones have been eradicated, and unless there is a new variant that is worse than Delta, then what is the point of any of this testing on arrival, isolation and over priced 10 day hotel quarantine?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic