Gay Phnom Penh: Aaron tells us about being gay in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Gay Phnom Penh: Aaron tells us about being gay in Cambodia

Post by xandreu »

My experience of being gay in the KOW - if anyone is remotely interested - is that there is much less of a hang-up about it here than back in the UK. Then again, there seems to be a gradual acceptance of it globally these days, so I'm not sure if it's specifically that Khmers seem very tolerant of it or it's just a generational thing that's happening everywhere.

In Cambodia, I wouldn't say it's as accepted as heterosexuality, It's still kind of frowned upon and still seen as a bit of an oddity by some, but in a curious kind of way rather than hostile. I get the impression hate crimes towards gay people are very few and far between here. If a gay guy were to hit on a straight guy here, the straight guy would more than likely just politely say he wasn't gay and take it as a compliment that someone tried to hit on him. Growing up in the UK you had to think very hard before you decided to hit on someone as he may well hit on you back - in the form of a punch in the face.

Maybe it's the same back home these days? I'm told it's rather fashionable to be homosexual among the younger generation these days, but coming from the Jurassic era, it's a generation I know very little about so I couldn't say. I certainly hope so.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I never understood why anyone would worry about it.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

xandreu wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:06 pm My experience of being gay in the KOW - if anyone is remotely interested - is that there is much less of a hang-up about it here than back in the UK. Then again, there seems to be a gradual acceptance of it globally these days, so I'm not sure if it's specifically that Khmers seem very tolerant of it or it's just a generational thing that's happening everywhere.

In Cambodia, I wouldn't say it's as accepted as heterosexuality, It's still kind of frowned upon and still seen as a bit of an oddity by some, but in a curious kind of way rather than hostile. I get the impression hate crimes towards gay people are very few and far between here. If a gay guy were to hit on a straight guy here, the straight guy would more than likely just politely say he wasn't gay and take it as a compliment that someone tried to hit on him. Growing up in the UK you had to think very hard before you decided to hit on someone as he may well hit on you back - in the form of a punch in the face.

Maybe it's the same back home these days? I'm told it's rather fashionable to be homosexual among the younger generation these days, but coming from the Jurassic era, it's a generation I know very little about so I couldn't say. I certainly hope so.
My (middle-aged, female) Khmer language teacher said that it was a “Western” thing that Cambodians don’t do. :facepalm:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:06 pm My experience of being gay in the KOW - if anyone is remotely interested - is that there is much less of a hang-up about it here than back in the UK. Then again, there seems to be a gradual acceptance of it globally these days, so I'm not sure if it's specifically that Khmers seem very tolerant of it or it's just a generational thing that's happening everywhere.

My daughter (22 years old now) had several friends at school who were openly gay. The problem was most of the boys were called Harry, such was the popularity of the name in the 90's, so they had to distinguish: they had a Gay Harry and a Very Gay Harry, with the latter being mighty proud of his status.

In my day, even the suspicion of being a bit 'bent' would make your schooldays a living hell.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic