Does ABA allow unauthorised overdrafts?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Does ABA allow unauthorised overdrafts?

Post by xandreu »

I have a few accounts with ABA, one of them I use for savings and another I use for everyday transactions. I don't keep much in the everyday transactions account because it's the one I use most and the one that I have all my cards connected to, so it's the one most likely to get hacked. I just transfer money from my savings account to the everyday account as and when it's needed.

Yesterday morning I transferred $100 then went out to meet a friend and do some shopping. In total i spent about $50 but my balance when I got home was just $20. There are no transactions listed that I don't recognise and it's not clear where the $30 or so has gone. My balance just says $20 instead of the expected $50.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I was already $30 over drawn without realising and it took that when I transferred the $100. But I always assumed ABA would block transactions if it meant going overdrawn?

On a side note, and I don't know if they're related, I also couldn't log into the app when I got home. It kept saying it didn't recognise my fingerprint then blocked me for 15 minutes after three unsuccessful attempts. I then tried again using my PIN, but again it kept saying it was the wrong PIN and eventually made me reactivate the app from scratch. Both my fingerprint and PIN were correct and nobody had had access to my phone since I last logged in. Very bizarre.

It's not the amount of money I'm bothered about, it's just that I rarely keep a check on these things and now wonder how many other times money has just vanished from my account without a trace?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Does ABA allow unauthorised overdrafts?

Post by Doc67 »

Have you got a regular payment, such a medical policy, that has a pending transaction?

You can get a statement via the phone app which lists everything in detail including rolling balance, so it shouldn't be hard to track it down.

Are you sure you didn't spend $80? :D
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I just checked again and also downloaded the statement. Still nothing that can account for $30. If I had spent extra and forgotten about it, it would show up by now (next day) in the app or on the statement surely? I'm not talking abut $30 cash - which I could easily spend and not remember what I'd spent it on - it's money from my account so should show as some kind of transaction.

At the moment it seems as if it's just vanished into thin air but I'll give it a few more days and see if the mystery unravels. I know it's only $30 which is hardly breaking the bank but it's frustrating that it can just seemingly disappear. Especially when the app locked me out of it at the same time.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Well, they won't give me an authorised overdraft; so doubt they give out unauthorised ones.

You should be able to see what the cash is blocked or reserved for, so something seems amiss

As a slightly security conscious guy when it comes to my banking details and apps I would be highly suspicious of the issue you had with your phone at the same time. Seems all a bit too co-incidental; don't take any chances in case one of your accounts is compromised - if a third party could access your mobile banking app then they would have control over your savings account too
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Is there an annual fee for your debit/credit card?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Bluenose wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:41 pm Is there an annual fee for your debit/credit card?
Yes, but I paid it just last month and even that would show up as a transaction anyhow.
itenos
Tourist

Post by itenos »

xandreu wrote:
Bluenose wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:41 pm Is there an annual fee for your debit/credit card?
Yes, but I paid it just last month and even that would show up as a transaction anyhow.
Did you download your statement within the app? You have to click on this icon in the top right corner while in account details view. That statement shows your rolling balance also in addition to money in and out. If you had some kind of overdraft accepted prior to your $100 addition the balance should show -$30.

Sent from my RMX2151 using Tapatalk

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

itenos wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:00 pm
xandreu wrote:
Did you download your statement within the app? You have to click on this icon in the top right corner while in account details view. That statement shows your rolling balance also in addition to money in and out. If you had some kind of overdraft accepted prior to your $100 addition the balance should show -$30.

Sent from my RMX2151 using Tapatalk
No I don't have any arranged overdraft with ABA. It's been almost a week now and the mystery is still unsolved. Nothing appears in the app or the statements to explain it.

The fact is that between transferring $100 in the morning and making just over $50 in transactions - all of which are accounted for (purchases and an ATM withdrawal) my balance displayed just $20 a few hours later for no obvious reason.

I feel stupid making a fuss to the bank for just $30 so have decided to leave it for now but keep a close eye and see if it happens again.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:59 pm
I feel stupid making a fuss to the bank for just $30 so have decided to leave it for now but keep a close eye and see if it happens again.
Don't worry. The person behind the counter in the bank will understand you come for a clarification about an amount equal to 3-days wages.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Banks often do short term lending. Take a little out of multiple, multiple accounts, then put the money back a little while later, meanwhile making money on the short term loan interest. Most people keep a few hundred to a few thousand in their account so don’t notice this.

I used to notice this back when I kept my account to $100 or less. And this was decades ago, when information wasn’t as instantaneous.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic