Who's Tried the $145 USD Burger in Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Who's Tried the $145 USD Burger in Phnom Penh?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:13 pm
Albror wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:32 am Maybe, but a guy with alot of money is also more likely to use his money to expand his bussiness/create new ones if he is making profit thus creating more jobs for those poor starving people. It costs allot of money and is something most people can not afford. Those rich guys are needed, someone who make enough money to be willing to take the financial risk.

You could spread it so that more people get a share of the money, sure, but there are millions and millions of people in this country who consume goods daily. What kind of power do you guys think you are sitting on with a couple hundred bucks? That is nothing. Up to each and everyone of course. If it makes you feel good, do it. But then its probably more about that, for you to feel good.
That's a if, when and where. Rich guy might be looking two years down the road before he has enough capital to initiate his next project. In the meantime starving people be starving. On top of that you don't know if rich guy is planning his next project in Cambodia or in another country. That's going to be a lot of meals on hold while you wait for a possible positive outcome.

Spending money at more humble establishments seems like the better option if you're looking to be a philanthropic restaurant goer.

And, if it also makes you feel better about yourself then it's a double win :good:

That being said, I read about this perfect peach grown in Japan that costs several thousand dollars for just one peach.
Would you buy a $7,000 peach? A fruit so juicy, so sweet, so perfect you just don't care about the sticky nectar dribbling down your face?

What if it came from Fukushima, infamous for one of the worst nuclear accidents in modern memory?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-18/ ... a/12440818

Short answer being YES!
Long answer being YES, if I could afford it :D
It's also worth pointing out that the dollar is absolute junk paper and in 1970 that would be a $21 burger

https://www.inflationtool.com/us-dollar ... ?amount=21
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Albror wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:32 am Maybe, but a guy with alot of money is also more likely to use his money to expand his bussiness/create new ones if he is making profit thus creating more jobs for those poor starving people. It costs allot of money and is something most people can not afford. Those rich guys are needed, someone who make enough money to be willing to take the financial risk.

You could spread it so that more people get a share of the money, sure, but there are millions and millions of people in this country who consume goods daily. What kind of power do you guys think you are sitting on with a couple hundred bucks? That is nothing. Up to each and everyone of course. If it makes you feel good, do it. But then its probably more about that, for you to feel good.
That's a if, when and where. Rich guy might be looking two years down the road before he has enough capital to initiate his next project. In the meantime starving people be starving. On top of that you don't know if rich guy is planning his next project in Cambodia or in another country. That's going to be a lot of meals on hold while you wait for a possible positive outcome.

Spending money at more humble establishments seems like the better option if you're looking to be a philanthropic restaurant goer.

And, if it also makes you feel better about yourself then it's a double win :good:

That being said, I read about this perfect peach grown in Japan that costs several thousand dollars for just one peach.
Would you buy a $7,000 peach? A fruit so juicy, so sweet, so perfect you just don't care about the sticky nectar dribbling down your face?

What if it came from Fukushima, infamous for one of the worst nuclear accidents in modern memory?

Short answer being YES!
Long answer being YES, if I could afford it :D
I would never pay that much for a burger but it will make no difference for starving people in the jungle or other local establishments if i do. Its just a silly argument that you dont do it because of the starving people. For one, as i already said, you probably wont donate 145 dollar just because you did not buy a burger for it, so what did starving people have to do with it? And second of all im sure you will be hungry again tomorrow and eat again anyway. So what did change because you had a expensive burger once? Absolutely nothing.

Like you say you dont know what the profit will be spent on but that goes for your local restaurants too. The profit from your cheap burger meal wont even cover the owners last night in the ktv (pre-covid, i know they are shut now). Better to not overthink it and just buy what you want.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What you really need to do is buy the $145 burger takeout, then give it to a starving street waif. It's the only fair solution.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Albror wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:39 pm
Don't have to be rich to invest, and more people should be taking risks, because the biggest risk is not taking risks. Nobody ever got rich from saving. Successful self-made multis are saying of the current climate of the changing world "The only sure-fired strategy for failure is not taking risks". WTTE.

Could be a real estate venture, like Maccas. Operational costs would be low. Sign: "Call if you really want one." Like a recent sign on the Girly Bar: "We're closed. Beat it!"

I don't have a lazy 7k, but if I was ridiculously wealthy, I'd rather consider investing in whatever it takes to produce this grade of peach, and then maybe buy one because your last sentence, above, states it is worth it.

[/quote]
What if it came from Fukushima, infamous for one of the worst nuclear accidents in modern memory?[/quote]
[/quote]

That would be ridiculous and wealthy, IMO, to purchase for consumption. With the areas' contaminated soil, my risk assessment gives the event a governance score of "not-too-peachy."

I would never pay that much for a burger but it will make no difference for starving people in the jungle or other local establishments if i do. Its just a silly argument that you dont do it because of the starving people. For one, as i already said, you probably wont donate 145 dollar just because you did not buy a burger for it, so what did starving people have to do with it? And second of all im sure you will be hungry again tomorrow and eat again anyway. So what did change because you had a expensive burger once? Absolutely nothing. Other than your next meal.

Like you say you dont know what the profit will be spent on but that goes for your local restaurants too. The profit from your cheap burger meal wont even cover the owners last night in the ktv (pre-covid, i know they are shut now). (you mean the tip on the first drink) Better to not overthink it and just buy what you want (that you can afford).
[/quote]
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:35 pm What you really need to do is buy the $145 burger takeout, then give it to a starving street waif. It's the only fair solution.
Grab 2 and eat in. Wash it down with a cheeky '51 Grange. I say! Badgering could ensue, so finish and leave swiftly. It's the only fear salvation.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic