thai policeman murders drug suspect

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: thai policeman murders drug suspect

Post by Big Daikon »

Thai actress gets political.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Go back to the Thaksin days. How many were killed then?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:19 am
That is a very pertinent question when a police force goes right of the rails, as Thailand seems to have done a long time ago.

Sorry, but the reason i keep going back to Sydney on this thread is that we had very similar situation here for 2 or 3 decades, '60s - '80's.
Institutionalised highest level corruption to point where the cops ran virtually all serious crime in the state - notably the heroin trade, the huge armed robbery scene of those days, pedophile protection rackets, who got the Green Light who got 'knocked', EVerything. They were the real crime bosses just as Thailand's seem to be today.

This woman, a junkie and prostitute, is finally being recognised for the incredibly brave (and intelligent and erudite) hero that she was.
This documentary (produced this month) managed to pull the highest authorities on the subject, including the current police commissioner, to sing her praises on this fab 48 mins about THE most extraordinary whistle blower to ever have walked this earth.
Sally Anne Huckstepp - junkie, prostitute, eyes wide open whistlebower Hero.

(i hope you see the relevance, apologies if you don't, good entertainment/history anyway)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

[/quote]
Sorry, but the reason i keep going back to Sydney on this thread is that we had very similar situation here for 2 or 3 decades, '60s - '80's.
Institutionalised highest level corruption to point where the cops ran virtually all serious crime in the state - notably the heroin trade, the huge armed robbery scene of those days, pedophile protection rackets, who got the Green Light who got 'knocked', EVerything. They were the real crime bosses just as Thailand's seem to be today.
[/quote]

Gave a new meaning to "the brown paper bag"
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thailand's police crime - at least the crime in mention, where it was committed in view of cameras they knew were there - seems more disorganised crime than 80's Sydney.
While you're enjoying the nostalgia, how about John Ibrahim? I knew his body guard, Semi (Tongan Sam). They were as nasty as these guys. And the Tongans weren't much for talking.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

We are going off topic., Psuedo, but what the hell..
Spoiler:
I saw a murder by a Tongan bouncer outside the Pink Pussycat at 7am one summer Sunday morning (about mid '80s probably)
right in front of my eyes when i was sitting on that park bench that was about 10-15 metres away. (facing straight on. not there now)

There was a big kerfuffle and from up the stairs and out onto the street (it was from the downstairs 'theatre") comes a brawl between the bouncers and - get this - about a dozen New Guineanian highlanders, not one of them over 5 feet tall.

Right in front of my eyes this long time Tongan, a KX identity, bought an iron bar down onto one of the highlanders head as he was getting up from the ground.
It was like slow motion. I can still see that bar slowly, it seems now and it did then, travel through the head to about half way down from the dead centre top of his skull.

Suddenly, in a flash - every single cop (in those days Sat nite/Sun morn was BIZEEE) came charging from out of the station just up the road and flooded the scene.
You would remember Hakin, Pseudo. The hyper corrupt senior detective that saved his own skin and turned informer on all his detective mates after the Royal commisssion investigators had him cold.

Anyway. Right in front of me still, Hakin runs in, takes charge, Pfft and before you know it
- no body no Togan bouncer
Not a word in the papers. The Tongan, a lifelong KX identity, never seen up there again. Back home in Tonga.

The point- the cops were just keeping the show on the road...
That was just the way it was in those days. In fact this is one of the few times i have talked about this to anyone (except my analyst) because it's just another everyday story for those of us who lived amongst it all in those gory glory days.

-Yeah those islanders were baaaad. Started as stooges for the bosses but ended up as major players themselves. Brutal.
-I sold a stolen (not my deed) tenor Saxophone to John Ibrahims about 3 am one Saturday morning when the joint was jumpin'. He fancies himself that bloke, and not just a cool hip sax playin' dude.
The real Mr Teff he is. So far. i wonder when/if/how he will ever come down????
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Back on topic - I am assuming BKK would have the different nationalities having their own criminal groups, but I don't know they would be as connected to the Thai cops, like they were in 80's Oz. "2nd floor" Kings Cross and the Lebanese, comes to mind. An ex of my girl, ATT, told me a few stories after he got out of Long Bay, sentenced as part of the Royal Comm.

In Thailand, I would say there are many incidences like the one you described, only it is probably the above-the-law, law doing the executing, and only for a pecuniary benefit.

The image you planted, with your narration, is gonna take some shaking to erase.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

It's not like there's a former Australian cop who was caught with over $40k of meth that he stole from drug dealers he was shaking down (and did prison time for it) now enjoys a successful law enforcement career in Cambodia or anything..... This kind of stuff is the norm in SEA.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bubble T wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:52 pm It's not like there's a former Australian cop who was caught with over $40k of meth that he stole from drug dealers he was shaking down (and did prison time for it) now enjoys a successful law enforcement career in Cambodia or anything..... This kind of stuff is the norm in SEA.
You certainly covered your ass with that statement; the chances of all those things happening to somebody are pretty slim.

You mean a rogue cop gets caught, does a stint and gets back on the force (not necessarily in Cambo)? In Oz no (unless ruling overturn in appeals or other surfacing evidence...).

I think they get demoted here.

I like the aspect of corruption that a first-offender can bribe his/her way out of a crime instantly, no record, without going through the legal process before being given a chance to clean up, with no conviction, as in Oz.

Because, in Oz, there is a record.

Of course, it's not about that here. Guilty until proven rich. And if you continue your criminal activities, you become their bitch, until they need a bust. What a life.

As you say it's the norm here, but it goes on in the West. How prevalent, I wouldn't know, but complacency results in a rise.

An Aussie cop got nailed for trafficking meth, but was only a guest of "Her Majesty" for "a shit and a shower" (about a year). I remember her defence was that she only sold to users, not children, and only when off-duty, so the prosecution was reckless, and unwarranted. The judge didn't agree. Dealers normally get double digits, on the bottom.

Most say this guy won't spent a day in jail. That would mean the courts, the whole system, is out of whack, even corrupt. And it will be on display for the world to see.

I would think his best hope would be he goes in until the dust settles. As they say "someone has to go to jail."
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bubble T wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:52 pm It's not like there's a former Australian cop who was caught with over $40k of meth that he stole from drug dealers he was shaking down (and did prison time for it) now enjoys a successful law enforcement career in Cambodia or anything..... This kind of stuff is the norm in SEA.
Sorry, I misread your post as literal. I have since been educated otherwise, by a more knowledgeable literate.

Interesting.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic