I woke up thinking I was in China

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: I woke up thinking I was in China

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I see it as the everyday New Normal. No surprises at all.
I am trying to adjust myself to the realisation that i will be returning to my home which is now firmly within Greater China. That's how i see it.
It weighs heavily - i signed up, but i didn't sign up to live inside the Bamboo Curtain.
Not sure how i am going to handle it, but will have to do my best - i don't want to run, 'too invested way down deep.
Ahyou!whyme?
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Ahyou!whyme? »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:27 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:59 pm Image
I can't read any Chinese or Khmer script but this is what I've often seen installed for "topping off" ceremonies. 8)
topping out ! (looks for laughing smiley and can't find one).

Edit: I see someone else has already pointed this out. I'm going to call it topping off going forward anyway.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I can't read any Chinese or Khmer script but this is what I've often seen installed for "topping off" ceremonies. 8)
I think the main one says “ eat at Harry’s , might be Larry’s , my eyes are going bad ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Ahyou!whyme? wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:11 am
topping out ! (looks for laughing smiley and can't find one).

Edit: I see someone else has already pointed this out. I'm going to call it topping off going forward anyway.

How is the phone signals in that area. That signal tower looks a bit low.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Interesting building, anyone know what it's going to be! Office, apartment or hotel building?
Anything fallen off it yet?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Signage might as well read "Barangs don't buy here" A chinese development in Cambodia does nothing to inspire confidence in the project for me.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

I think the third one from the left reads " Welcome chinese skydivers" 😌
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

canucklhead wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:09 am I think the third one from the left reads " Welcome chinese skydivers" 😌
You mus hav binoculars , anything for base jumpers ?
Or free fallers ?
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 am Signage might as well read "Barangs don't buy here" A chinese development in Cambodia does nothing to inspire confidence in the project for me.
Well, I don't know about 'barangs don't buy here' but this sign is quite visible and in free sight to a lot of people in PP, I would've thought it's somewhat disrespectful to have that in Chinese only which most Khmers wouldn't understand. Just saying.. :whip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic