Using your ABA card abroad

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Using your ABA card abroad

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bong Kri wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:11 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:49 am
xandreu wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:44 am Has anyone tried to withdraw cash from their ABA account using their ATM debit card abroad before (specifically UK) ?

Does it work and what are the fees like?

Thanks.
Yes, I did last year and it is fine. I'll check the fees and get back to you.

Edit:

2 withdrawals on 24th and 30th March 2020. Here are the amounts of £ withdrawn, the amount of $ debited, the fees, the exchange rate on the day (as best as the charts can provide) and then the rate I got from ABA

£500............$602.51..............$11.81.................1.15.........1.20

£500.............$609.................$11.95.................1.24.........1.21

The exchange rate you get is not the spot rate, I think it's the agreed rate at a certain time by the Visa network and then the banks can add on more if they like. I am sure there is a webpage somewhere on the ABA site that spells it all out (but I can't find it)

The fees look like 2%. The XR is harder to work out as this was the most volatile time for the USD/GDP and it was up and down quite a bit.

Hope this helps.
Can I ask if you needed to notify ABA you were traveling/using your card outside of Cambodia prior to using it in another country?
I don't, as long as I have my phone on roaming for any validation issues

I do remember staying in the UK and banking there; the sadistic bastards would wait until every holiday was just getting going before blocking my cards, despite notes on my account from before I went on holiday telling the useless institution where I was off to. Then I'd waste a few hours and up to forty quid on the phone to some cunt in a call center with a Glaswegian accent. I'm happy to no longer bank in the UK
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:35 pm
xandreu wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:44 am Has anyone tried to withdraw cash from their ABA account using their ATM debit card abroad before (specifically UK) ?

Thanks.

Edit:

2 withdrawals on 24th and 30th March 2020. Here are the amounts of £ withdrawn, the amount of $ debited, the fees, the exchange rate on the day (as best as the charts can provide) and then the rate I got from ABA

The exchange rate you get is not the spot rate, I think it's the agreed rate at a certain time by the Visa network and then the banks can add on more if they like. I am sure there is a webpage somewhere on the ABA site that spells it all out (but I can't find it)

The fees look like 2%. The XR is harder to work out as this was the most volatile time for the USD/GDP and it was up and down quite a bit.

Hope this helps.
Can I ask if you needed to notify ABA you were traveling/using your card outside of Cambodia prior to using it in another country?
I don't, as long as I have my phone on roaming for any validation issues

I do remember staying in the UK and banking there; the sadistic bastards would wait until every holiday was just getting going before blocking my cards, despite notes on my account from before I went on holiday telling the useless institution where I was off to. Then I'd waste a few hours and up to forty quid on the phone to some cunt in a call center with a Glaswegian accent. I'm happy to no longer bank in the UK
I remember those days. Barclays have given up with their "tell us where you are going" system. It worked ok, but if try to put a large purchase through (£500+) they would often refuse it.

I would use my Barclays debit abroad as a very last resort and make sure my UK sim was in the phone and connected to a network to receive their call.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Thanks.

Edit:

Hope this helps.
I didn't tell them and had no problems whatsoever.

I used my card in Vancouver, for both cash withdrawals and purchases, then in Mexico City for cash only, and then in London for cash only - all in the space of under 3 weeks. Barclays Bank would be having kittens with that lot, but ABA did nothing. At all times my Cambodian sim was in a spare phone and no call was received from ABA.*

I feel very comfortable travelling with ABA cards. I have both Visa and Mastercard on the same account. The Mastercard is contactless and the Visa, being old, is not. For the UK, a contactless card is very handy as it can be used for purchases up to £45.

*There is one caveat, if someone gets hold of your ABA card and pin number while abroad, you better be able to block the card very quickly, I can't see ABA doing much if someone starts emptying out your account. I used the APP to adjust daily withdrawal and spending limits to an absolute minimum, and only increased them when needed and then reduce them immediately afterwards. It's not a bad habit to get into.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:48 am From ABA's website...

Cash withdrawal with non-ABA’s ATM
/ POS (in and outside of Cambodia) 2% of amount withdrawn, min $5

Purchase/withdrawal in non USD Currency
(except KHR currency) 2% for currency conversion
2% if I used a non ABA ATM in Cambodia? That's news to me. Greedy bastards.

And the POS, I often use the ABA one at Super Duper. If the shop in question has one from another bank that is another 2%?
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:03 am
Bluenose wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:48 am From ABA's website...

Cash withdrawal with non-ABA’s ATM
/ POS (in and outside of Cambodia) 2% of amount withdrawn, min $5

Purchase/withdrawal in non USD Currency
(except KHR currency) 2% for currency conversion
2% if I used a non ABA ATM in Cambodia? That's news to me. Greedy bastards.

And the POS, I often use the ABA one at Super Duper. If the shop in question has one from another bank that is another 2%?
I've used my ABA card at Acleda ATMs with no user fees.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Have used my ABA Visa Debit card in at least a dozen different countries, including Afghanistan & Iraq, for payments and cash withdrawals from ATM's, with zero issues...as others have said, it is wise to have a backup card to be on the safe side.
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

Reliable bank. Card acceptance is ubiquitous. I have just two debit cards, both platinum as the Visa one allows withdrawals of 10k USD per day and the MasterCard allows 7.5k USD per day. More than sufficient and I'm very happy to pay the annual $100 Visa card fee.

For online payments I have Visa and MC virtual ones for online payments. I intentionally keep the limits of these 2 virtual cards to max $100 per day and max 1 purchase per day to eliminate any risk of unauthorised debits.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Thanks.
Contactless card payment limit in the UK being raised to £100 in October.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/ ... dApp_Other
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic