Vireak Buntham Truck Busted Carrying 984 Geckos

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Vireak Buntham Truck Busted Carrying 984 Geckos

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The Judge wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:13 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:04 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:44 am
Khmer_Risotto wrote:Can someone remind me why this company is still allowed to operate?
I was just about to ask the same thing. Thieving, constant accidents and now wildlife trafficking. Jesus...
And this is not the first time they've been busted for trafficking wildlife. Looks like it's been going on for years.
Mr Vireak must have some clout.
newsworthy/virak-buntham-buses-raided-w ... 16470.html
And there you have your answer...
I think it's just the scowl he carries around town (koh kong)
'terrify anybody into anything
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ok, one thing that struck me was this. I don't know if the Virak Buntham owner is telling the truth, but why would you ship a live cargo of geckos (or any other fragile living animals) from Mondulkiri to Sihanoukville via Siem Reap ?
According to Virak Buntham owner Sour Virak, the incident took place when one of his company’s trucks reached Siem Reap after travelling through Mondulkiri, Stung Treng and Preah Vihear on its way to Preah Sihanouk province.
The most direct route from Mondulkiri to Sihanoukville is through Phnom Penh and not Siem Reap. A delivery from Mondulkiri via PP to Sihanoukville can be done in one day (at a stretch), but it is a lot longer to go through SR. Live animals should be transported as quickly as possible.
Not sure what my conclusion is here, except that there must be a reason for traffickers of live animals to take the longer route. Either the real destination is Thailand and not Sihanoukville, (very possible), or either the Virak transport company has a sure-fire trafficking network to SHV which only operates through Siem Reap to avoid Phnom Penh.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Detective AM.
:hattip:

" the real destination is Thailand and not Sihanoukville, (very possible)"
my vote
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

From Ben Kiernan's "The Pol Pot Regime".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Thanks JB ^^^ i always found this a fascinating, and tragic, chapter of the KR period.
The bastards nearly exterminated the Irrawaddy dolphins too - for their oil. They did manage that on the Lake.

Incidentally, Pol Pot's banker showed up at the KR Tribunal to shed some light on these sales that he had facilitated.
I was sitting on the edge of my front row seat in anticipation
But being and old old man and nearly senile he "can't really remember anything useful, so so sorry". Of course.

- despite being a very sprightly, sparkling eyed, only-70 something bloke wearing an impeccably tailored $5,000 Savile Row charcoal and pin-striped silk bankers suit.
The KR must have a very good superannuation scheme for its bankers and its wildlife traders when they get old and senile.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

The way things are going with habitat destruction, trafficking and poaching (as well as the total lack of shits given culturally), South East Asia will have nothing left except ants, a handful of pet cats, and perhaps a few spiders by 2035.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

.... were rescued from a vehicle
Perhaps 'rescued' is not the best word to use when all the geckos are stone dead!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

simon43 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:33 am
.... were rescued from a vehicle
Perhaps 'rescued' is not the best word to use when all the geckos are stone dead!
Well-spotted lapsus.

The real "rescued" thing is the opportunity to get advantage of it.
Dead as fuck, but still worth getting something from it, in opposition to a missed opportunity that gotten away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic