america's involvement in Afghanistan closes

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: america's involvement in Afghanistan closes

Post by mannanman »

blueman.cambodia wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:39 am
mannanman wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:49 pm Makes you wonder if the US won the Vietnam war then what?

Mmmm? Why say "if US won the Vietnam war....." ??

The Vietnam war southern alliance was made up of USA, Philippines, south Korea, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand., And of course the ARVN of South Vietnam.
Thats a good point. Not forgetting their sacrifices.

My question still stands.
People of the world, spice up your life.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

blueman.cambodia wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:39 am
mannanman wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:49 pm Makes you wonder if the US won the Vietnam war then what?

Mmmm? Why say "if US won the Vietnam war....." ??

The Vietnam war southern alliance was made up of USA, Philippines, south Korea, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand., And of course the ARVN of South Vietnam.
I think it's safe to say that the Vietnam war was pretty much a US led operation. They may have had allies but it was definitely a US led campaign.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:23 am just in, the Taliban now has more black hawk helicopters than 166 other nations around the globe.

Another democratically elected government overthrown ;-(

Which, one hopes, will have been disabled before being abandoned. Pakistan might buy them on the cheap for spare parts.
lipservice
Expatriate

Post by lipservice »

We lost in Vietnam.
Just as we've lost in Afganistan.
Truth hurts some I'm sure.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anyone got one of these?

Because this lot:

are here, having a big party

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:58 am Anyone got one of these?

Because this lot:

Well, they have a more legitimate claim to it than the US puppet who fled yesterday
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:12 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:58 am Anyone got one of these?

Because this lot:

Well, they have a more legitimate claim to it than the US puppet who fled yesterday
I did laugh when he claimed to have left to "avoid bloodshed" Yes, his blood to be precise.

I wonder how many of these government and military leaders have managed to obtain duel citizenship over the last 20 years (as part of the deal), have been spiriting away all the money stolen through corruption and will now suddenly appear outside their extremely valuable apartments in Manhattan or Mayfair.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:58 am Image
Who wants to play 'odd one out' ?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:19 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:58 am Image
Who wants to play 'odd one out' ?
I wonder which one of this lot will be appointed Minister for LGBTQ++ issues?
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

Through two decades of com­bat and hun­dreds of bil­lions of dol­lars spent build­ing up Kab­ul’s mil­i­tary and civil­ian in­sti­tu­tions, suc­ces­sive U.S. ad­min­is­tra­tions fol­lowed strate­gies that in­ad­ver­tently fu­eled sup­port for the in­sur­gency, missed win­dows to ne­go­ti­ate and, fi­nally, came to a set­tle­ment with the Tal­iban that un­der­cut the abil­ity of the Afghan gov­ern­ment to ne­go­ti­ate con­ces­sions.

Along the way, the U.S. un­der­es­ti­mated the dam­age caused by em­pow­er­ing lo­cal war­lords who took gov­ern­ment jobs, and turned a blind eye to cor­rup­tion that hol­lowed out gov­ern-ment in­sti­tu­tions.

Amer­i­can pol­icy mak­ers over­es­ti­mated the Afghan mil­i­tary’s abil­ity to de­fend the coun­try, and, to­ward the end, U.S. ne­go­tia­tors mis­judged the en­e­my’s will­ing­ness to ac­cept any­thing less than to­tal vic­tory.

The mis­steps be­gan al­most im­me­di-ately af­ter U.S. forces, seek­ing re­venge against the regime that gave shel­ter to Osama bin Laden and the other al Qaeda per­pe­tra­tors of the Sept. 11, 2001, at­tacks, in­vaded Af­ghanistan.

The Amer­i­cans quickly swept the Tal­iban from power, leav­ing the Is­lamists back on their heels in 2002. Amid pub­lic anger over the ter­ror­ist at­tacks, then-Pres­i­dent George W. Bush’s ad­min­is­tra­tion missed the op­por­tu­nity to make peace with the weak­ened Tal­iban and give them a role in the coun­try’s fu­ture. Mr. Bush soon turned his at­ten­tion to the in­va­sion of Iraq, dis­tract­ing re­sources and at­ten­tion from Af­ghanistan.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chaotic-af ... yURL_share
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic