China bans the 'Beijing bikini'

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

China bans the 'Beijing bikini'

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The popular “Beijing bikini” trend has been banned in China’s capital city to improve public hygiene amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Beijing has ordered that its citizens must “dress neatly” and not go shirtless in public in an effort to improve public hygiene. One target of the clean-up campaign is believed to be the “Beijing bikini,” a fashion trend among men which involves rolling up their shirt to expose their stomach – or taking their shirt off completely – in summer months.

Other actions banned to help improve public hygiene in Beijing amid the coronavirus pandemic include not covering the nose or mouth when coughing and sneezing. Public spaces will also be required to set up one-metre distance markers. Fines for spitting and public defecation have been increased to 200 yuan or $US28.

Full story: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/beij ... ina-2020-4
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: China bans the 'Beijing bikini'

Post by IraHayes »

Yeah I read about all this when I got up this morning. My thoughts now, as they were then, are the same..... “lol”

While it would be nice if the general Chinese population could learn to behave in a more civilised way, by which I mean western, let’s not hold our breath eh.

Talk about rubbing some Tiger Balm on a broken leg eh.... but I suppose if you had to start somewhere, starting small is the way to go but as long as we keep seeing young Chinese people behaving exactly the same way as their parents we will know nothing has changed.
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

I was 'très déçu' to open this and not find sexy Beijing girls in bikini. :x

Anyway, I think there is 'Phnom Penh bikini' with tuk tuk drivers on riverside.

I don't understand why they ban men from rolling up shirt for hygiene to stop virus. :facepalm:
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

$28 US for public defecation? That's practically a bargain. Is it really on the same tier as spitting? Jesus....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Little_Vicious wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:57 pm $28 US for public defecation? That's practically a bargain. Is it really on the same tier as spitting? Jesus....
Spitting also spreads disease (TB etc). It is probably a more common method of virus spread than public defecation in mainland China. (IMO, only because I've seen a lot more people spitting in public, and very few who shit in public.)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:32 pm
Little_Vicious wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:57 pm $28 US for public defecation? That's practically a bargain. Is it really on the same tier as spitting? Jesus....
Spitting also spreads disease (TB etc). It is probably a more common method of virus spread than public defecation in mainland China. (IMO, only because I've seen a lot more people spitting in public, and very few who shit in public.)
Either way, my feelings these days are that they are an unpleasant _______, and there is insufficient barbed wire to keep them from straying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic