Is there another 'Siem Reap' out there?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is there another 'Siem Reap' out there?

Post by timmydownawell »

I like Siem Reap, despite having not lived there (yet).

One of the things I like is the availability of low-rise apartment complexes with pools and tropical gardens. I like that resort feel.

So, is there a place like Siem Reap out there, either in SE Asia, or Central/South America? Same sort of climate and vibe. A beach would be nice too (but not essential). Needs to be a place where you can live (i.e. visa availability) so you can rule out Bali/Indo.

Any of you more well-travelled guys have any tips?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Is there another 'Siem Reap' out there?

Post by Anchor Moy »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:01 pm OK you're right, but you are missing the point of my post though. I'm looking for a Siem Reap that's not in Cambodia.
Maybe some ideas here ?
the-road/cambodia-ranks-fourth-for-frie ... 46015.html
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:57 pm And it has an international airport.
With another one on the way. ;-)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:22 pm I like Siem Reap, despite having not lived there (yet).

One of the things I like is the availability of low-rise apartment complexes with pools and tropical gardens. I like that resort feel.

So, is there a place like Siem Reap out there, either in SE Asia, or Central/South America? Same sort of climate and vibe. A beach would be nice too (but not essential). Needs to be a place where you can live (i.e. visa availability) so you can rule out Bali/Indo.

all over phuket, ( far nicer than sr) must be a 75 or more complex's like that
rents range from 20,000 to a few hundred thousand Baht/month
sales from 2-100 million Baht
Visa: if ur over 50 and have the cash 1,900 baht/year>> no cash 14,000 baht/year

Have seen them in Kuta, legian and sanur Bali as well
visas will run ya $6-800/year
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

I hear Sousa Dominican Republic is becoming popular
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

An Australian friend of mine is thinking of moving to Costa Rica. :idea:
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:22 pm I like Siem Reap, despite having not lived there (yet).

there may be still a lot of small coastal towns all over the world
in thailand for example
undeveloped
the way you find them is the hard way: take a bus and just get off when it looks nice
some are nice, some are shitholes.
I judge towns by whether they are "wet or dry", if you know what I mean.
takes more time than money
big advantage to speak some local language
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Multipox wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:40 am

in thailand for example
undeveloped
the way you find them is the hard way: take a bus and just get off when it looks nice
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SzuMD3rtT7T8eDJd6
sumfin smart
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Multipox wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:40 am

in thailand for example
undeveloped
But Siem Reap is not really undeveloped? Siem Reap is pretty developed city in reality if you think about it. What I think what original poster is after, or at least the thing what I like about Siem Reap and I think is pretty unique for an Asian city is that it has small town feel (low rise buildings, relatively small population but still big enough to have stuff), parks, greenery, proper road and pavements, nice houses and apartments, doesn't flood badly, pretty clean, you have variety of foods available, fast cheap internet, safe, cheap etc.

I have travelled in many countries and cities and haven't really been in similar city in Asia. I'm sure South America would have similar cities though, I just haven't travelled there enough.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It does flood badly though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

What ever happened to Timmy Down A Well? Did he fall in a well somewhere?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic