SMART - Mobile Data Mystery

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: SMART - Mobile Data Mystery

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:33 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:28 am Could be a multitude of things then, Google drive, auto sync, app updates, apps running in background without user bothering to close after use

Smart aren't robbing your credit anyhow, that's for sure
Also could be photos being backed to the cloud, but I don't think Doc is savvy enough to have that set up (no offence).
Ha ha. But you're wrong!

I do have Samsung cloud and it is full! I don't know how. I can't even remember asking for it. Apparently there are 1264 images and videos and I have no idea what the hell they are :shock:

Every now and then I get a message that my phone can't sync with Samsung cloud and something about insufficient data. I have 5GB only, it is full and I need to upgrade. I'll pass.

Oh, and the date sync is set for Wifi only. Not intentionally mind you, I only just noticed it :D

Edit:

I've just been going through it, it's full of pictures I deleted off my phone months ago. What a waste of space.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:56 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:33 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:28 am Could be a multitude of things then, Google drive, auto sync, app updates, apps running in background without user bothering to close after use

Also could be photos being backed to the cloud, but I don't think Doc is savvy enough to have that set up (no offence).
Ha ha. But you're wrong!

I do have Samsung cloud and it is full! I don't know how. I can't even remember asking for it. Apparently there are 1264 images and videos and I have no idea what the hell they are :shock:

Every now and then I get a message that my phone can't sync with Samsung cloud and something about insufficient data. I have 5GB only, it is full and I need to upgrade. I'll pass.

Oh, and the date sync is set for Wifi only. Not intentionally mind you, I only just noticed it :D

Edit:

I've just been going through it, it's full of pictures I deleted off my phone months ago. What a waste of space.
Well I was half right :beer3: It's handy if you lose your phone. Ok but if it's set up to wifi-only then it's not using your data, so you may as well delete all the crap and free up your space just in case. So what else could be using up your 4G data then?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Have you checked...

Whether you're running a hotspot others can use?
Updates have been downloaded and installed.
Data has been synchronized between yours and another device in the cloud?
YouTube settings when watching / downloading.
Your wi-fi being down and your phone using 4g instead without you noticing.

If I were you I would check my balance two or three times a day from now to keep track of things. I have doubted Metfone data use before but after they printed 30 pages for me I had to admit I was wrong and they were right. The odds Smart is cheating are extremely close to zero I think.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Slightly off topic but Mrs Cargo and I have both recently got new phones. After 3-4 yrs or so, I have to say it's not so easy anymore to set up the phones the way you want. I mean, by default, many of not only the phone's but individual app settings are such that they're trying to get information from you or coming up with annoying recommendations and notifications. And then there's privacy issues and turning off uploading to the cloud etc. All of which can use up data and slow your phone down. Google and associated apps is a great thing to have but jeez, it's pretty involved in the settings..

I've literally spent many hours going through both the individual phone and app settings for both phones to get things right. I dunno if it's just me but it's getting more and more complicated imo. Then again, and assuming the phone is reliable, I won't have to do this again for another 3 yrs or so..

Apologies OP but I do think it can be a challenge keeping on top of all this stuff..
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:07 pm

Apologies OP but I do think it can be a challenge keeping on top of all this stuff..
Once I hit 30, my brain auto deleted most of my tech knowledge
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Since downgrading you are likely not a VIP anymore, no special rates, and were probably only temporarily VIP throughout the month, previously.
I use Smart ThomMorng, $5/mth, – 41GB of data, 27,000 on-net minutes or 55,000 on-net SMS.​ I don't know if it's right for me or not, but there is never any disruptions, other than when calling a non-smart person where the balance disappears faster than bar girls to a broke bloke.
I think you avoid social media, as do I, but I've seen deals involving them.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Irony Man
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Irony Man »

Smart will certainly be following the letter of their rules, they have a German CEO after all, but you will probably find your missing data buried in a tricky weasel clause in the terms and conditions, which is a Smart specialty.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Thanks everyone. I have them looking into it now, courtesy of a CEO member.

The power and endless resourcefulness of CEO to the rescue!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic