Advice for anyone looking for good cheap home internet

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Advice for anyone looking for good cheap home internet

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:21 am
timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:42 pm FWIW When I do speed tests on my supposed 6Mbps Opennet fibre connection, I get close to 20Mbps down/up. Both locally and internationally.

Right now:

Local: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11666398339

International: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11666404668
All good things must come to an end I guess. I noticed my speed had dropped to about 12Mbps last week. It turns out Opennet upgraded speeds on fibre plans. I doing so they have finally correctly configured my speed. I was technically on 10Mbps plan but getting 20, and now "upgraded" to 12Mbps which is what I'm now getting. Was nice while it lasted.

Anyway these are the speed upgrades:

EDIT: I had thought my plan was previously was 6Mbps, probably was five years ago but they had upgraded to 7 then 10, but was still actually hitting 20Mbps.
I tried the speed test. Locally I got what you got, 20/20. But when I tested it through a server in London all I got was 7 download and 15 upload.

It a fact of life that some industries are based on lots of lies regarding performance: battery life on anything, lightbulbs with 20,000+ hours and car fuel consumption figures. All complete BS.

Same with internet speeds, those companies do a lot of fibbing. In the UK some now make a virtue in their advertising that they will now really guarantee the speeds, pinky promises etc or some money back. Effectively they are saying, "we know we have been ripping you off, but we promise we won't do it any more".

You'd do well to read the small print on those guarantees.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:35 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:21 am
timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:42 pm FWIW When I do speed tests on my supposed 6Mbps Opennet fibre connection, I get close to 20Mbps down/up. Both locally and internationally.

Right now:

Local: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11666398339

International: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11666404668
All good things must come to an end I guess. I noticed my speed had dropped to about 12Mbps last week. It turns out Opennet upgraded speeds on fibre plans. I doing so they have finally correctly configured my speed. I was technically on 10Mbps plan but getting 20, and now "upgraded" to 12Mbps which is what I'm now getting. Was nice while it lasted.

Anyway these are the speed upgrades:

EDIT: I had thought my plan was previously was 6Mbps, probably was five years ago but they had upgraded to 7 then 10, but was still actually hitting 20Mbps.
I tried the speed test. Locally I got what you got, 20/20. But when I tested it through a server in London all I got was 7 download and 15 upload.

It a fact of life that some industries are based on lots of lies regarding performance: battery life on anything, lightbulbs with 20,000+ hours and car fuel consumption figures. All complete BS.

Same with internet speeds, those companies do a lot of fibbing. In the UK some now make a virtue in their advertising that they will now really guarantee the speeds, pinky promises etc or some money back. Effectively they are saying, "we know we have been ripping you off, but we promise we won't do it any more".

You'd do well to read the small print on those guarantees.
Always try a couple of different overseas servers. You might have got 7/15 on the one you selected, and get 15/15 on another. It all depends how congested they are.

Which plan are you on? The 12Mbps one which is now 20?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

paul2d wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:05 pm Keep your eyes open for Elon Musk's SpaceX Starlink satellite internet system: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/29/elon-musk-.html

It is in beta in Northern US, Canada, and some European countries.

Global roll out expected later this year.
There's a reason it's in beta in moderate climates and not in the tropics.
The disk uses 100W of power and will switch off when over 50°C. You will be fine during evenings and night but not so sure about working hours.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

One downside of Ezecom & fixed line providers is the constant state of disarrary of the roads & infrastructure in Cambodia. I was an Ezecom customer for ages when I first got here, and their corporate lines were second to none - absolutely the best; BUT, the number of times the service was interrupted by some idiot digging up a road, or cutting a cable was infuriating. I've no idea how the poor folks at Ezecom kept their cool when customers were affected by outages they had no control over.

I've switched to Smart @Home + tethering a mobile as my "Go to" connectivity at home; usually blissfully uninterrupted except by my own idiociy to forget to top up on time!

I guess it depends a lot on what speed you actually need, and whether you can live for a day or two with it turned off due to infrastructure disruption. if I needed fast internet, Ezecom probably is still right up there - but now I'd always keep a mobile option up my sleeve for emergencies. For me, uploading/downloading docs, or Zoom meetings, etc, Smart @Home or mobile tethering has me covered perfectly well at maybe half the price of Ezecom.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic