Old Posters

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Old Posters

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Maybe he's beach combing on Dunc Island - that's where is see him anyway
I liked him for his slow dry brand of cynicism - not the bitter kind. he was a survivor too.
Pretty sure this is where he would have pulled his handle from..

:beer1: with Dunc, and >>

Cinnamoncat? FLB?
Brody ???
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

@Doc67 @clutchcargo @SternAAlbifrons

Thanks for the thoughts.

I've been busy moving my family to the US.

As with quite a few long term Cambodia expats with young children of school age, I've decided to raise them in the West.

They'll be starting a quality private school in two weeks and I'm also very happy to be able to provide them with much better health / dental care.

They are taking to life here like ducks to water and loving each new experience they encounter.

Also, personally, over the past 5 years in particular, I'd started falling out of love with Cambodia.

The Cambodia I'd become enthralled with 12 years ago is dead and buried. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing but it just doesn't suit me anymore.

Also there are different Cambodias for different stages in life. For me there was the single mans Cambodia........the married to a local womans Cambodia.........and then Cambodia with children.

I could have probably continued to countenance the former two..........but not the latter.

That's just my personal feeling which I acted on. Not looking to spark a debate about it.

First Khmer 440 and then CEO were of endless resource for me. Such an enjoyable and informative community to be a part of. It is such a benefit that CEO could pick up the slack after 440 fell apart.

And it's posters such as yourselves that make this possible.

Keep the great info and insights flowing.........share with each other......pass on hard earned wisdom..........but don't forget to take the piss out of each other too. That's half the fun.

I'll check in from time to time.....and by all means, keep the site going for years to come, so that if I ever plan an extended trip back, all I have to do is log on to CEO to get the latest and greatest gouge, and be set.

Take care gents...... :thumb:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Unless one has a big bank account and can handle international school costs, SE Asia is not the best place for raising kids>
An education is THE most important thing you can do for ur kids

funny you should state, "Also, personally, over the past 5 years in particular, I'd started falling out of love with Cambodia."
you were always the first person to kick my ass when i had a go at Cambodia :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:37 pm Unless one has a big bank account and can handle international school costs, SE Asia is not the best place for raising kids>
An education is THE most important thing you can do for ur kids

funny you should state, "Also, personally, over the past 5 years in particular, I'd started falling out of love with Cambodia."
you were always the first person to kick my ass when i had a go at Cambodia :-)
The difference is Brody kept it to himself and the loss of appeal of Cambodia didnt extend to endless comments and forum posts about "how he's fallen out of love with Cambodia"

edited to add that while the reply was aimed at PR he's by far not the worst offender ... there have been numerous people who instead of just moving on they have to regale us with a constant diatribe of the issue.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

There are hardly any barangs left in Cambodia now.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

nemo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:46 pm There are hardly any barangs left in Cambodia now.
[Not sure if serious comment or not meme goes here]

If serious: Has there really been a large exodus of expats?

If not serious: Last one out turns off the lights
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:51 am Nice to hear from you.
I had wondered what had happened to you too, actually.

Last I heard, Duncan was back in Oz, then got trapped there by corona. I have a feeling that he stopped posting as he was getting trolled by Cam Nivag sock puppets. He PMed me around the time he stopped posting, but deleted the PM before I could read it. I wish I head seen what he had to say.

Agree with you about the positives and negatives of Barang Chgout. Not sure. He may have come back under a new handle, and eventually got banned for being a jerk. No idea really. I particularly liked his house building posts and pics.
UT orkun for the kind words and the update on the posters. I guess when previously people who would dip in and out of the country who posted here before stopped after they got stuck out. personally it mad me sad to leave for what should have been 5 months and 18 months later here we are, thanks for the time you took to respond sir :beer3:
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:49 am so how are you finding life in America?
where are ya?
PR. I hope you and your family are well sir, As you well know I'm not one to disclose that kind of personal information online . I have a place in the Coachella Valley that begins with I and ends in O. near Indian Wells and Palm Springs. a fairly republican area of California but still not the vote was stolen crowd. So how have I found it:? day to day no problems great food (mexi cali) Mexican suoermarts with cerviche, pulled pork, great coffee In N Out burgers (hey whats not to like).... them trips to family in Del Mar which is a great place. but it Isn't Cambodia or Asia and I'm sure you guy will agree. once you've understood Asia. why return to Cambodia. :beer3:
Last edited by angkorjohn2 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Brody wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:11 pm @Doc67 @clutchcargo @SternAAlbifrons

Thanks for the thoughts.

As with quite a few long term Cambodia expats with young children of school age, I've decided to raise them in the West.

They'll be starting a quality private school in two weeks and I'm also very happy to be able to provide them with much better health / dental care.

They are taking to life here like ducks to water and loving each new experience they encounter.

Also, personally, over the past 5 years in particular, I'd started falling out of love with Cambodia.

The Cambodia I'd become enthralled with 12 years ago is dead and buried. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing but it just doesn't suit me anymore.

Also there are different Cambodias for different stages in life. For me there was the single mans Cambodia........the married to a local womans Cambodia.........and then Cambodia with children.

I could have probably continued to countenance the former two..........but not the latter.

That's just my personal feeling which I acted on. Not looking to spark a debate about it.

First Khmer 440 and then CEO were of endless resource for me. Such an enjoyable and informative community to be a part of. It is such a benefit that CEO could pick up the slack after 440 fell apart.

And it's posters such as yourselves that make this possible.

Keep the great info and insights flowing.........share with each other......pass on hard earned wisdom..........but don't forget to take the piss out of each other too. That's half the fun.

I'll check in from time to time.....and by all means, keep the site going for years to come, so that if I ever plan an extended trip back, all I have to do is log on to CEO to get the latest and greatest gouge, and be set.

@Brody good for you sir. I understand completely. It has changed completely and your kids come first. I don't have them so they don't factor in my decision. So I hope to come back to a beautiful country with beautiful people and be at one with them again.

by the way sir you were one of my favorite posters. I wish you well and keep others laughing as you did to us.

orkun sir,

best. John
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Brody wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:11 pm @Doc67 @clutchcargo @SternAAlbifrons

I don't believe a word of it. You're foxing, i know you.
You'll be back Brody, like a bad penny. Nevertheless, i can't let the occasion go un-noted
with apologies to Mr Cash

I had made me a vow to the moon and stars to search all the honky-tonks and bars.
It was in some dive bar in mid-July. I'd just hit town and my throat was dry,
so i thought i'd have myself a beer
Well, at an old saloon on a street of mud
I walk in, and who do who do you think i find?

Sitting at the table dealin' stud was that crusty mangy old Brody's mug.
I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye.
He was big and bent, and grey and old, and i looked at him and my blood ran cold.
i said..

"My name is Stern! How do you do?
Now you gonna die!"

Well i hit him hard right between the eyes.
he went down but to my surprise
he came back up and cut off a piece my ear.
So i busted a chair right across his teeth and we crashed thru the wall and onto the street
kicking and a gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Well i'll tell ya now, i've fought tougher men but i really can't remember when.
He kicked like a mule and bit like a crocodile.
I heard him laugh and then I heard him cuss 
He reached for his gun but i pulled mine first
He stood there just lookin' at me with a smile...

"Son. this CEO is rough, and if a man's gonna make it he's gotta be tough
I was just there to help you along. To make you strong.
I knew that (a sensitive snowflake opiniated obnoxious lefty greenie like you )
would have to get tough or die."

He said "Now you just fought one heck of a fight
and i know you hate me and you got the right
to kill me right now and i would not blame you if you do
(and visa versa)
But you outa thank me before i die
for the gravel in your gut and the spit in your eye... "

And i do thank you, Bromide.
It takes two to Tango and you have been a very worthy dancing partner.
i salute you.
No snide comments from Brody - you get the full blast every time. i like a man who is quite clear with you about exactly what he thinks.
:D
This may surprise others, but i have little doubt that you will believe me when i wish you, and your family, all the very best for your next adventure.
Take good care of yourself, you old Bastard - i want us both match fit for the next round. We can't let the fans down now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic