Mr. Vanny, the One-Legged Scrap Collector

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Mr. Vanny, the One-Legged Scrap Collector

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Silly me for to trying to institute a discussion around this.

Go straight to the NGOs everybody.
No questions, no further discussion, and certainly no alternatives!

There - the right answer.
All very pragmatic and easy.
Happy now, Ghost??

"former KR communities" "communities supporting..." "more self-reliant communities"
obviously an idea from another planet to some.
NObody said leave them in the dust to fend for themselves. and nobody said there is no role for NGO's.
And it may be interesting to some readers anyway, to hear that there is research that shows that actual real-life experience turned out better for many amputees who did not receive help from an NGO.
Dial up your local on-call NGO is not the only way to go.

Sorry. I know us westerners suddenly feel all powerless like somebody cut off our balls when somebody suggests an answer that does not involve an NGO or a westerner riding in to the rescue on a white horse.
- just about the only answer we have to these kind of problems in the third world and we feel castrated without it.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

or maybe, Ghost, you are simply frustrated at all this "meaningless" talk when you just want to get some real and meaningful help for this individual and his family on the ground.
I can sure understand that kind of frustration myself.

My experience and observations when trying to help somebody at this level ...
Sure, sometimes there is an obvious appropriate agency and it is just a fairly simple hook-up.
- but generally you need to take up some sort of personal advocacy crusade. Lots of looking/asking around.
Lots of talking on their behalf.
Lots of hardcore "expectation management" all round, including of your own (!!)
Lots of "responsibility allocation". < explaining all that can prevent a dependence or victim mentality too.

Or, make it simple one-on-one material help plus mentoring.

But yeah, if you are willing to do all that. sometimes it can work - meaningfully and pragmatically.
Sorry, that's as practical as i can get.

Oh yeah, NB, reminder - it is reckless and irresponsible to embark on an a mission like this if you are not sure you can follow it thru.
That's cruel.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Back when I had my backpack hostel we always had to have a security guard sat outside at night. Not for security, but to wake me up on late night walk-ins and to unlock for guests who returned late/early hours. There was nothing "security" about the job that involved anything serious above unlocking and locking the door for returning guests. Guests were informed to wake him up if he was sleeping which always amused them but they were cool with it.
This job would have suited a guy with 1 or no legs or maybe even a missing arm/hand. The security company we dealt with never even considered this and couldn't believe we were even suggesting it. But I bet there are many "security" guard positions like ours that simply needed a body on duty with no serious action required on the part of the on-duty guard.
The kudos and good reviews from the guests we would have gotten from employing a disabled guard would have been worth it alone tbh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic