Chinese Arrested After Shots Fired at Sihanoukville Market

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese Arrested After Shots Fired at Sihanoukville Market

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Preah Sihanouk City): Earlier today, on this evening of 5 August 2021, at about 7pm, there was a report that five shots were fired outside Leu Market, the main market in Preah Sihanouk City.
Police were called to the incident, where they detained two unidentified Chinese men, who were in a black Range Rover car (2BM-7089), and also a Cambodian man, and took them all for questioning. The motive for the shooting is uncertain, but nobody was hit by flying bullets.
The police investigation is on-going.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Chinese Arrested After Shots Fired at Sihanoukville Market

Post by AndyKK »

I wonder how many foreigner's carry guns.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:06 pm I wonder how many foreigner's carry guns.
It depends on what you mean by "foreigners". None of the foreigners I know nowadays have guns that I'm aware of. Some did way back but it eventually it became more useful to hire guys with guns rather than have one yourself. I'm not sure about the current situation, but I don't think any of us barangs need to be caught with illegal firearms. guns are expensive here nowadays, even a shitty K59 can cost $500. It's not a good look. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I knew of one guy who had a hand gun on him, open carry, in PP. He’s been here for a long time and runs a business that’s part of a big corporation.

He was asked to hand it back in when things got more civilised.
People of the world, spice up your life.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:28 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:06 pm I wonder how many foreigner's carry guns.
It depends on what you mean by "foreigners". None of the foreigners I know nowadays have guns that I'm aware of. Some did way back but it eventually it became more useful to hire guys with guns rather than have one yourself. I'm not sure about the current situation, but I don't think any of us barangs need to be caught with illegal firearms. guns are expensive here nowadays, even a shitty K59 can cost $500. It's not a good look. 8)
I put the wording "foreigners" because that's how on the whole we are addressed. But not really, it's how they refer the Chinese not to come across as discriminating. I have not heard of "Barangs" western person's carrying gun's, nor have I seen any news articles of late to say otherwise, only some tittle tatter like the post above with no relivence too the dangerous situation now that seems to be developing.
Then again what the situation of kidnapping going on between the Chinese you can understand why some of those people think about self protection.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Tittle tatter? I was replying to JB comment. It’s not tittle tatter, whatever that means.

There has been a few incidents with barang and guns. One only a few months ago.

Yes. Obviously the PRC lot are more likely to carry and use.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic