What platform is CEO made with?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: What platform is CEO made with?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

All right, so I downloaded the files, but it looks like I need to rent some server space and hire someone to install it. And I need to buy a domain name. Is that right?

I imagined that it might be self-functional but it seems that it will take a few extra steps.

Please inform.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

yes, that's right.
stay away from godaddy, bluehost and top tier hosts.
I like innohosting.
register your name with the same company you host with- it make dns easier.
buy your ssl at signup.
you can install phpbb yourself.
you will need to if you are going to admin it.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 pm All right, so I downloaded the files, but it looks like I need to rent some server space and hire someone to install it. And I need to buy a domain name. Is that right?

I imagined that it might be self-functional but it seems that it will take a few extra steps.

Please inform.
Not saying this to be insulting but straight up: It doesn't sound like you have the (very basic) pre requisite knowledge and understanding to maintain this even if you get someone else to do the initial set up. Get a partner involved who can handle the tech side so you can just focus on the content, or find a platform with better security and more of a fool proof set up, like XenForo (which incidentally dicks all over vanilla PHP BB in every way imaginable).
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Huge market
and growing rapidly
especially with the big spending demographics
and the global opinion makers
Spoiler:
8)
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:01 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 pm All right, so I downloaded the files, but it looks like I need to rent some server space and hire someone to install it. And I need to buy a domain name. Is that right?

Please inform.
Not saying this to be insulting but straight up: It doesn't sound like you have the (very basic) pre requisite knowledge and understanding to maintain this even if you get someone else to do the initial set up. Get a partner involved who can handle the tech side so you can just focus on the content, or find a platform with better security and more of a fool proof set up, like XenForo (which incidentally dicks all over vanilla PHP BB in every way imaginable).
Yeah, I don't have the time for the tech side of it. My interest is relatively altruistic. I've seen what this board and TOF can do to help expats which I believe is good for a country (low income developing country attracts expats that actually have some know how and makes their lives easier, bring hard currency in, like a form of FDI).

Based on your advice I should find someone who's a bit more techie, or else try XenForo (sorry I'm not familiar with the slang "dicks all over" but I assume it means that it is better than :stir: :bow: )

Thanks for keeping it straight up...
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

nemo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:47 pm yes, that's right.
stay away from godaddy, bluehost and top tier hosts.
I like innohosting.
register your name with the same company you host with- it make dns easier.
buy your ssl at signup.
you can install phpbb yourself.
you will need to if you are going to admin it.
Thanks, I'll try to follow your advice....
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:34 pm Based on your advice I should find someone who's a bit more techie, or else try XenForo (sorry I'm not familiar with the slang "dicks all over" but I assume it means that it is better than :stir: :bow: )
It sounds like you'd still need someone to help you with XenForo initial setup, but iirc they actually offer that as part of the package if you pay a bit more when you sign up. It is indeed an incomparably better platform and a much nicer experience from an end user's perspective (pages are dynamic, you can see new posts as they happen without refreshing the page and stuff), but like most things worth having in life it costs money.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Thanks everyone for their answers so far... You're being very helpful.

Can someone tell me if I wanted to contract out the installment of this phpbb software, what kind of cost would I be looking at?

Would I also need to hire someone to do some kind of monthly maintenance cost?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 pm Thanks everyone for their answers so far... You're being very helpful.

Can someone tell me if I wanted to contract out the installment of this phpbb software, what kind of cost would I be looking at?

Monthly maintenance is not necessary, as long as the hosting environment is setup properly it should stay that way for lengthy periods. Managed hosting however I think would be a requirement, so you are looking at a monthly cost for hosting + support. Unfortunately cannot recommend a host. But in your case a starter package would be enough so no crazy fees.

You're also looking at a yearly cost for the domain name. Below 10 bucks, and if you use a registrar like Namesilo you get domain privacy included in the price.

That's it, you do not need to pay for SSL. Your managed host will be able to get a certificate for free using Let's Encrypt. They will also install phpBB for you, but the part of configuring and styling it you will have to take care of.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:56 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 pm Thanks everyone for their answers so far... You're being very helpful.

Monthly maintenance is not necessary, as long as the hosting environment is setup properly it should stay that way for lengthy periods. Managed hosting however I think would be a requirement, so you are looking at a monthly cost for hosting + support. Unfortunately cannot recommend a host. But in your case a starter package would be enough so no crazy fees.

You're also looking at a yearly cost for the domain name. Below 10 bucks, and if you use a registrar like Namesilo you get domain privacy included in the price.

That's it, you do not need to pay for SSL. Your managed host will be able to get a certificate for free using Let's Encrypt. They will also install phpBB for you, but the part of configuring and styling it you will have to take care of.
Great, that's very helpful. I see. I will check out some hosting companies and ask them to ensure that they can install phpBB. Thanks for your helpful reply.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic