Khmer logic

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Khmer logic

Post by xandreu »

One thing that often makes me wonder in this kingdom of wonder is Khmer logic and how it's often so far removed from my own. Sometimes in a positive, "why have I never thought of that before?" way, but often....let's just say, often not.

For example, like most people, we use the carrier bags from the shopping as bins. They fill up quite quickly in our apartment so we don't really use a proper bin, we just have a place we hang a bag and use that. We do often run low on bags though so I try to only change them when they're really full and use them sparingly.

When it does need changing however, I might ask my partner to change it, assuming he'll tie the full bag up, put it by the door ready to be taken down and hang a fresh bag, but what often happens is that he'll simply get a bigger bag out of the cupboard, and put the full smaller bag inside of that then just hang the bigger bag up, already mostly full now with the smaller bag.

Why? Because it's easier than tying the full bag and putting it by the door. In his mind, it's just the logical (easiest) thing to do. It doesn't make sense to go through all the rigamoral of tying a bag and placing it by a door when you can just throw it into a bigger bag. Trying to explain how and why that's just not how it works, especially given that you often run low on bags, is like trying to explain quantum mechanics. To him it makes perfect sense as you only have to tie and take one bag downstairs one time now instead of tying and taking down two bags twice.

I'm sure we've all encountered similar examples of Khmer logic. I could think of thousands more examples but interested to hear others...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Khmer logic

Post by mannanman »

How apt that I had this very conversation but in reverse.

My Khmer friend complains that his western friend is too tight to buy proper bin bags and a bin instead using tiny plastic bags that fill up too quick or split and leak.

His logic is bin bags do a job. He can’t understand the logic behind his friends thinking so he secretly buys bin bags, but gets told off for wasting money and “destroying the environment” which he also can’t understand. “Look outside!”.
People of the world, spice up your life.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

While not wishing to generalise, as there are a number of instances that pop to mind from back home, but there does seem to be a widespread lack of an ability to evaluate and assess a situation and work through solutions to see an end result.

Muppet: This is what we are going to do moving forward.
Me: If you do that, "this" will happen.
Muppet: How do you know?

3 months later.....
Me: I did say "this" would happen.
Muppet: Burn the witch!!!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I buy about 5 used full size rice sacks from the local store there around 500reil each. Then do a a little sorting with the recycling items, such has tins in one sack after washed out of course, then plastic bottles in another, takeaway cartons and plastic cups in another. Its then surprising that there is very little rubbish left, has for left over cooked food it will go in a takeaway container with one more full of water, and put it out for the street dogs, that way they don't follow me down to the bin area anymore, so with what waste is left in another rice sack I leave for the bin men, they in turn empty the sack into the bin wagon leaving me the sack for me to use again. Easy to wash it if need be and hang it out to dry.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Cambodians always say to me..This is not your country...This is how we do it in Cambodia...Case closed.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

We run out of milk formula, usually at the most inconvenient time. I suggested that either she buy a new one when she has used the current one by 50%, or better still, have a full unopened one at home already, and buy a new one when she has opened the remaining can.

It works, while I’m driving things, but generally…

We run out of milk formula, usually at the most inconvenient time…

We have similar logistics issues at work. Something that will be needed in about a week, that normally takes 2 weeks to arrive, gets ordered on the day at a rush and a price tag to match.
I’m with Ira on this.

Many moons ago, a company I worked for, we carried a brown envelope of $$$! For smoothing the way in strange places. Generally, however, it was used for settling a fuel credit or hotel bill at a more run of the mill airfield because the company policy was to delay payment for invoice due +30days, plus however many fob offs the CEO could get away with.
Generally, we were unprepared for the half-unexpected, and the envelope was often empty when we got sent to some strange place.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:38 pm We run out of milk formula, usually at the most inconvenient time. I suggested that either she buy a new one when she has used the current one by 50%, or better still, have a full unopened one at home already, and buy a new one when she has opened the remaining can.

I've given up trying to get the other half to let me know when she uses or eats the last of something so I can get some more
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Look at it this way ; they can add 1 to 5 and get six …
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

pissontheroof wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:17 pm Look at it this way ; they can add 1 to 5 and get six …
Wrong. They add 1 to 5 and get five-one.

:hattip:
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

"why give baby formula if it eat now? Baby drink soymilk okay!"

Actual conversation with aunty over a six month old baby after it ate one spoonful of borbor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic