No Covid traces found in railway stations or trains

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

No Covid traces found in railway stations or trains

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Tests have found no traces of Covid-19 in swabs and air samples of four major railway stations and intercity train services, Network Rail has said.

Two lots of testing took place at London Euston, Birmingham New Street, Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Piccadilly station.

Heavily touched areas such as escalator handles were swabbed, while hour-long air samples checked for airborne virus.

Tests were repeated on trains running between the stations.

There has been extra cleaning of transport services throughout the pandemic to protect against the virus spreading through contaminated surfaces and the air.

Imperial College London researchers examined the results of the tests - which took place in January and June - and found no coronavirus contamination of any surface or airborne virus particles.

It follows similar tests on London's Tube trains, buses and stations earlier this year, which found no sign of Covid-19 or new variants.

Researchers said at the time that this did not mean none is circulating.

David Green, senior research fellow at Imperial College London, said using filters and taking swabs provided a "way of quantifying the amount of virus circulating in these public environments and the effect of mitigation strategies like cleaning and wearing face coverings".

Rob Mole, senior programme manager for Network Rail's response to the pandemic, said the test results were "proof" the "dedicated approach" by station cleaning teams and train staff to keep passengers safe had worked.

He added that staff would continue "doing our part by rigorously cleaning trains and stations" and asked passengers to "do their bit" by continuing to wear face coverings while travelling.

Last month, almost all legal restrictions on social contact were lifted in England - including the legal requirement to wear a face covering in settings such as public transport - but they must still be worn on London's transport network.

The government still advises face coverings are worn in crowded and enclosed spaces.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58052378
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: No Covid traces found in railway stations or trains

Post by xandreu »

I read this too and thought it was pretty positive news but I think it was more of a test on how well the public spaces are cleaned rather than how easily the virus spreads on surfaces.

I could be wrong though.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 pm I read this too and thought it was pretty positive news but I think it was more of a test on how well the public spaces are cleaned rather than how easily the virus spreads on surfaces.

I could be wrong though.
It wouldn't be correct to read too much into a test with such a small sample size, but no airborne covid is definitely a positive, particularrly if the tests were conducted during busy-ish times of the day
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 pm
xandreu wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:21 pm I read this too and thought it was pretty positive news but I think it was more of a test on how well the public spaces are cleaned rather than how easily the virus spreads on surfaces.

I could be wrong though.
It wouldn't be correct to read too much into a test with such a small sample size, but no airborne covid is definitely a positive, particularrly if the tests were conducted during busy-ish times of the day
Strange they did Euston and not Waterloo, Liverpool Street or London bridge. Were they only testing the above ground platforms (it does say network rail so I'd assume so)

Maybe they could also test northern, Victoria and central lines too as they get very little fresh air
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cautious colin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 pm

I could be wrong though.
Strange they did Euston and not Waterloo, Liverpool Street or London bridge. Were they only testing the above ground platforms (it does say network rail so I'd assume so)

Maybe they could also test northern, Victoria and central lines too as they get very little fresh air
I bet the public toilets still stink of piss.

Stick your surface wipes and air monitors in the bogs, Network Rail, and see what readings you get then!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Network Rail is the whole network, within London maybe. It’s the outbound routes who are subbed out but NR still own the stations?

Fake news!
People of the world, spice up your life.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

mannanman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:14 am Network Rail is the whole network, within London maybe. It’s the outbound routes who are subbed out but NR still own the stations?

Fake news!
Network rail owns all national rail stations, but not solely underground stations.

e.g. tottenham court road is owned by tfl, until crossrail starts when it will be transferred to NR (as crossrail, although similar to an underground line is actually NR managed)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic