Used Book stores

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Used Book stores

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is very cool. :thumb:

15 seconds ago - BREAKING NEWS
Community library open to receiving unused books
Rhea Mae Soco / Khmer Times
Irina Chakraborty, founder of "Bonnalai Titouy" showing the books in the community library. KT/ Chor Sokunthea

Book lovers in Phnom Penh are encouraged to donate their unused books to the soon to be launched community library at YK Art House located at Street 830 for public sharing.

The library called “Bonnalai Titouy”, a Khmer term which means ‘owl library’ is founded by Irina Chakraborty, who has been living in Cambodia for nine years.

Chakraborty who has been a member of a book club in Phnom Penh told Khmer Times that her idea of creating a community library came after her experiences of exchanging books in the club.

“You never know what you get in the book club. Then I realised, what if we have a centralised online database?” she said when telling how her idea of creating a community library started.

Book lovers need to donate at least five books to become a member of the library. Currently, Bonnalai Titouy has around 500 books in the YK Art House with another 100 e-books available for online readers at https://ykarthouse.libib.com/.

“Anyone can browse our link and click on tags to select the categories like fiction and non-fiction stories. You will also be able to see whether the book you are looking for is available at YK or currently checked out. If you see a book on the site that’s marked as not available, you can message us and we’ll get in touch with the current borrower,” said Chakraborty, adding that members can keep the books up to three months.

She assured that all books are original as a mark of respect to the authors.

Apart from having easy access to good books including expensive new ones, Chakraborty hopes the community library will be a good place for those moving or leaving Cambodia to give away their books if they wanted to.

In the past few months, she said, many people had left the country with not knowing where to give their books away and she had gathered them. That also inspired her to start the community library.

“Many of us buy new books which can be expensive. Here, they can share with others and they can benefit from these books. Let us share as a community,” she said.

After a year of preparation, Chakraborty is now calling for volunteers to help her test the system before the official launch of the Bonnalai Titouy on February 21.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50805936/c ... sed-books/
CamboPete
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by CamboPete »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:58 pm That's good news, I always liked Bohr's.
Bohr's moved to Kampot. Any other bookstore in Phnom Penh in that price range? Either for second hand books or the Cambodian re-editions?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

CamboPete wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:31 am Bohr's moved to Kampot. Any other bookstore in Phnom Penh in that price range? Either for second hand books or the Cambodian re-editions?
Bohr's in Kampot says temporarily closed on Google. Do you (or anyone else) know if that's the correct current status?

Wouldn't mind the drive if i knew it was open :)
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
CamboPete
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by CamboPete »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:48 am
CamboPete wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:31 am Bohr's moved to Kampot. Any other bookstore in Phnom Penh in that price range? Either for second hand books or the Cambodian re-editions?
Bohr's in Kampot says temporarily closed on Google. Do you (or anyone else) know if that's the correct current status?

Wouldn't mind the drive if i knew it was open :)
Did not follow up on that and was not aware that they are closed in Kampot. But they have a facebook page and their old mobile number/email address might be also worth a try.
Their (former) PP location was labelled as "temporary closed" on google maps for ages as well. That entry was gone when I checked today, so I googled them.
Hope they can manage to reopen! Would def visit them when in Kampot next time.

Have you stumbled upon a Bohr's-esque shop in PP by any chance?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

CamboPete wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:47 pm Did not follow up on that and was not aware that they are closed in Kampot. But they have a facebook page and their old mobile number/email address might be also worth a try.
Their (former) PP location was labelled as "temporary closed" on google maps for ages as well. That entry was gone when I checked today, so I googled them.
Hope they can manage to reopen! Would def visit them when in Kampot next time.

Have you stumbled upon a Bohr's-esque shop in PP by any chance?
Am unable to help unfortunately.
Searching on CEO was my first humble attempt at finding a store, any bookstore in fact.

So thanks for the tip off!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Any bookstores in Phnom Penh like D's Books or Bohrs Books? Those both look like they're still closed.

Looking for places like that which carried random reading materials you'd find at a bookstore in the West.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't know of any that still exist. Even Monument has a fraction of what they used to carry.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Meta House has an small but amazing collection of photography/art books. Not sure if it is open to public use. But it's there.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

D's still opens as a pop-up on occasion, she posts details on her Facebook page, unfortunately she can't afford to operate a dedicated full time 2nd hand bookstore, and was recently trying to fundraise so she could reopen.

Damn shame there's no dedicated 2nd hand bookstores left in PP 😥
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:58 am An oasis of culture in a desert of depravity; Canterbury Tales in Pattaya.

When you walk in it smells like an old library from your earliest memories.

yep (they just moved to Soi Bongkot) From 2nd Road go inside Soi Bongkot ca. 1,5 km down the Soi close to the second Seven Eleven.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic