Looks like asbestos?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Looks like asbestos?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:04 am In 1968 I had a job as a labourer fitting suspended ceilings in a new building, a giant factory. We were cutting huge sheets of blue asbestos. No face masks.
I would get home covered in dust. My mum would make me take of my clothes in the garden and shake them down. Done it for about a month.
I have had pneumonia 3 times now but so far no suggestion of anything else, I guess I was lucky.

I have no idea who I worked for it was cash in hand so even if I got ill I couldn't get a pay out. I have reached 70 so not too worried now
My old man, uncles and grandad did all the outhouses and sheds around my home place in the 60's using asbestos and so did all the houses in the area

The perceived wisdom was that as long as you weren't breathing minute fibers of the stuff you'd be okay

None of them died of cancer anyhow

Asbestos is still used in grout, plasterboard, brake pads, clutches, thermal shielding and floor tiles in this corner of the world, legally, so beware of construction dust
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Looks like asbestos?

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:47 am
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:04 am In 1968 I had a job as a labourer fitting suspended ceilings in a new building, a giant factory. We were cutting huge sheets of blue asbestos. No face masks.
I would get home covered in dust. My mum would make me take of my clothes in the garden and shake them down. Done it for about a month.
I have had pneumonia 3 times now but so far no suggestion of anything else, I guess I was lucky.

I have no idea who I worked for it was cash in hand so even if I got ill I couldn't get a pay out. I have reached 70 so not too worried now
My old man, uncles and grandad did all the outhouses and sheds around my home place in the 60's using asbestos and so did all the houses in the area

The perceived wisdom was that as long as you weren't breathing minute fibers of the stuff you'd be okay

None of them died of cancer anyhow

Asbestos is still used in grout, plasterboard, brake pads, clutches, thermal shielding and floor tiles in this corner of the world, legally, so beware of construction dust
All the council car garages were made of the stuff, same has the old prefabricated housing. I used to paint the rooms at the hospitals in the Leeds area, and there still are many of the water pipes lagged with asbestos.
Well noted Jerry Atrick for it used still in these parts.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic