UK to Phnom Penh Parcels?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK to Phnom Penh Parcels?

Post by Doc67 »

I wanted to bump this thread with an update of a recent experience after I sent a parcel from the UK to Phnom Penh, some new clothes and a couple of odds and sods.

I used InterParcel (link below) which uses Hermes to collect from a local shop, then drops it off to Landmark Global which is owned by BPost which is Belgium Post. Sounds complex but you just drop it to your local newsagent.

BPost then send it to Phnom Penh post office which then call you. It took 16 days, door to door.

It was claimed as a 5kg 30 x 30 x 30 and was charged at £36.25. (Parcelforce is £60 minimum)
(It seems nobody is being too fussy with sizes and weights as this was well in excess of all these numbers.)

The post office in PP phone you (because your phone numbers is on the outside) and you are given a picking number and counter number (it's the building at the back of the PO to the left by the coffee place). Take your passport.

They asked me: What's in it? - Clothes - Are they new? - Yes (mistake #1) - what's the value? - $100 (mistake #2)

Second hand clothes have no duty. Total value of new clothes under $60 has no duty.

Everything over $60 gets a 26.5% import duty, payable in cash only. If I wanted a receipt I had to return on Monday. I said I won't be bothering.

The whole collection process took about an hour, from them finding it and doing their bit of paperwork, then wait for the customs lady to get to you whereupon you open it up, and after that the big wait for the customs office. The last part was my own fault. If you can convince customs lady #1 that it is under $60 you may get to leave then. Or you may still have to convince the guys in the customs office which is next to the counter. I will find out next time.

Anyway, it was fairly painless and an interesting experience, the Post Office is like being in a time warp, transported back to the 1970's in the UK.

Here's the size of the package:

https://uk.interparcel.com/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic