What Music Are You Playing Tonight?

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: What Music Are You Playing Tonight?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

the essence
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Thought it would be good at 4:20 ..
But how can they rip off the name of a song for silly surfing ?

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:57 pm
Just to add a little on the performer, very lively I would say.

NNEKA I Singer I Songwriter I Artist

HIP-HOP LEGEND Nas calls her “amazing” and “an incredible artist.”. The Sunday Times hailed her and said her debut album was “as good as The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.” And now award-winning Nigerian singer-songwriter Nneka is here.

BORN AND RAISED in Warri Delta State of Nigeria, Nneka spent her childhood and early adult life growing up in the oil city of Nigeria.Originally from Anambra state Nneka is Igbo. Nneka Lucia Egbuna means in igbo “mother is supreme.

NNEKA in her early twenties first went to Germany to explore a different life and to discover her german roots ,she eventually stayed to pursue a degree in Anthropology/Archaeology at Hamburg University. It was during her student years that Nneka honed her craft as a singer-songwriter.“I financed my studies in Germany by playing gigs on the underground scene,” says Nneka. “I’ve always written from a very young age. I used to just write down my thoughts and experiences and lots of prayers.”

Her politically charged lyrics swiftly established her as one of Africa’s most powerful voices. Nneka’s lyrics examine a myriad of social issues, including maternal love, love for the divine creator, worldly “heartbreak” and the quest for justice. Working tirelessly over the last decade, Nneka has released 5 previous albums – Victim of Truth, concrete jungle in the US, No Longer At Ease and Soul Is Heavy as well as an EP called my fairy tales. Her single Heartbeat [2009] scored her a UK Top 20 hit and spun a feature by Nas and was also sampled by Rita Ora for her #1 UK hit R.I.P. Hip hop Artist Drake also sampled her for the original of the RIP song.

Nneka continues to perform and electrify audiences across the globe with the likes of The Roots, Burna boy, Tuface idibia, Groundation,Seun kuti, Erykah Badu, Gnarls Barkley, Nas and Damian Marley. She won a MOBO for Best African Act in 2009 and recorded a tribute song called Viva Africa for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, and has appeared on The David Letterman Show and BET’s 106 & Park. In 2014 Nneka joined the empowerment panel on ‘Nigerian Idol’ Season 4.In 2016 she joined the group of women called Les Amazones de l’Afrique where she came together with other african female artists with the likes of Kandia Kouyaté, Angélique Kidjo, Mamani Keita, Rokia Koné, Mariam Doumbia, Mariam Koné to raise their voices concerning issues of domestic violence, female genital mutilation and sexual abuse.

Nneka also keeps touring various countries of the world spreading the message of love and peace amongst all people regardless of their heritage.

http://nnekaworld.com/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

from this documentary
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:10 pm
When I watched this, I was thinking:

1. is this Peter Lawford or Joey Bishop (other members of the Ratpack) coz it's obviously not Frank, Deano or Sammy

2. why are the girls in the audience going nuts about a cig smoking/whiskey on the rocks drinking dude? It just seemed over the top..

So, I found this in the comments:
This is not Frank Sinatra, it is Marcus Haider, and it was performed in 2009. The black and white filter was added by ‘Nikki Lappas’ later on, to add a dated look for the performance. The audience is taken from a performance by ‘The Beatles’ in 1964.
There is no actual performance of Frank Sinatra singing “Sway”.
So, there you go....a fake vid albeit a cleverly crafted one.. :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic