Cambodian makes NZ best pies

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Phnom Penh Trader
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian makes NZ best pies

Post by Phnom Penh Trader »

What happened to that Pieman dude he was a complete nutcase wasn’t he?
If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts,happiness follows them like a never-departing shadow.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:55 pm
mannanman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:00 pm There’s a few western pie makers around, PP and a few in Kampot. Salt Bar made amazing pies but he’s finished now. Sad.
Yea, but none of which compare to a NZ bakery pie, JD's pies are probably the closest. There used to be a place in Kampot called Dandelion (or some flowery name) run by an Aussie who made great pies. Yes...I am a pie connoisseur/snob :D

P.S. fairly certain we have at least 1 pie thread a year, and it always turns into an argument with Brits trying to claim their pies are better than Kiwi pies, etc. (No competition, Kiwi pies win hands down :wink: ).
Well I would happily settle for a NZ meat pie here in Phnom Penh. Pies in general have become a little scarce over a few years.
I used to go to the Pelican Food Company, now they did a good pie, but the last few occasions I have found it closed. Mixed reports there! On Google maps, the place says, Temporarily closed, but there's reviews, and the last being 6 days ago, anyone have up to date information about this place?
Back to pies then, PSD-Kiwi I can still remember my mum making a large traditional meat and potato pie in one of those white enamelled metal dishes with the blue edge, when it came out of the oven it was good for four, very tasty servings. I won't argue with you about who makes the best pies between that of Brits and Kiwi pies! My mum was Welsh and most certainly made a very good pie. :hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

mannanman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:00 pm There’s a few western pie makers around, PP and a few in Kampot. Salt Bar made amazing pies but he’s finished now. Sad.
Yea, but none of which compare to a NZ bakery pie, JD's pies are probably the closest. There used to be a place in Kampot called Dandelion (or some flowery name) run by an Aussie who made great pies. Yes...I am a pie connoisseur/snob :D

P.S. fairly certain we have at least 1 pie thread a year, and it always turns into an argument with Brits trying to claim their pies are better than Kiwi pies, etc. (No competition, Kiwi pies win hands down :wink: ).
JD pies are hit and miss.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Well I would happily settle for a NZ meat pie here in Phnom Penh. Pies in general have become a little scarce over a few years.
I used to go to the Pelican Food Company, now they did a good pie, but the last few occasions I have found it closed. Mixed reports there! On Google maps, the place says, Temporarily closed, but there's reviews, and the last being 6 days ago, anyone have up to date information about this place?
Last I checked it seemed to be ran by an enthusiastic British vegan teen intern
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 am
AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Last I checked it seemed to be ran by an enthusiastic British vegan teen intern
Well, there goes the meatie meat-pies. :(
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Has anyone tried these pies in PP?

Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

violet wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:04 am Has anyone tried these pies in PP?

Where are the pies sold violet?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I like a different looking pastry but the filling looks yummy
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Came across these pies the other day, and have had two lots now. I added my own chips and gravy.

The pies come with pickeld cabbage and whole grain mustard.
Inside the pie, to us Brit's the filling is a little like Cornish pasty filling.

Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 pm Came across these pies the other day, and have had two lots now. I added my own chips and gravy.

The pies come with pickeld cabbage and whole grain mustard.
Inside the pie, to us Brit's the filling is a little like Cornish pasty filling.

The pie could have done with a few more minutes in the oven, the pastry looks undercooked.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic