Speed Cameras and Points System in New Traffic Law (UPDATED)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Speed Cameras and Points System in New Traffic Law (UPDATED)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

July 23, 2021
Speed cameras to be installed along National Roads 3, 5 and 7
Tin Sokhavuth / Khmer Times
A number of speed cameras will be installed along National Roads 3, 5, and 7 in order to catch traffic violators and deduct points accordingly using a new traffic app system.

In a joint meeting online yesterday, Interior Minister Sar Kheng and Public Works Minister Sun Chanthol announced the installation of speed cameras along a number of national roads.

According to Ministry of Public Works’ Facebook page, 14 speed cameras will be installed along the National Road 3 at ten different places from Choam Chao Roundabout to Kampot city.

The ministry also plans to install speed cameras along National Roads 5 and 7 with technical assistance from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)

Kheng said he completely supports the initiative to install speed cameras to strictly enforce the traffic law without exception in order to cutdown road accidents and saving lives.

During the meeting, Chanthol also said that a new mobile app to deduct points from traffic law violators would be put in service next year as a joint effort by both ministries.

He said experts are working on creating an app and network to deduct driver’s license points directly from the main database. The network should be finished at the end of this month.

The new app will record 12 points for each driver at the start and a number of points would be deducted if the driver violates the traffic law. When all the points are deducted, the driver’s license will be suspended from six months to one year before he or she could repass the exam to get a new license.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50900308/s ... 3-5-and-7/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Speed Cameras and Points System in New Traffic Law

Post by Ghostwriter »

Sure, why not waste a shitload of money so "partners"can big up the bills, for something that a 3$ spray paint can WILL ruin in a matters of seconds ?

Is insurance even mandatory for drivers ?

On the other hand, we have Bugattis up to 400 Km/h who don't give a shit, and Rolls Royces escaping hit and runs...

Now i'm thinking : leeches draped in a posturing attitude, but who i am to judge ?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Power cuts come free.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:51 am Sure, why not waste a shitload of money so "partners"can big up the bills, for something that a 3$ spray paint can WILL ruin in a matters of seconds ?

Is insurance even mandatory for drivers ?

On the other hand, we have Bugattis up to 400 Km/h who don't give a shit, and Rolls Royces escaping hit and runs...

Now i'm thinking : leeches draped in a posturing attitude, but who i am to judge ?
I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the cameras were part of an aid package from another country. HE would never spend his own money (er, Cambodia fee and tax revenue) on this.
paul.smith
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by paul.smith »

This is an interesting concept I just wonder who has a vehicle registered to them or areal licence plate?
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

paul.smith wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:49 pm This is an interesting concept I just wonder who has a vehicle registered to them or areal licence plate?
There used to be a small vendor who made fake license plates right on street 51. Don't know if it's still there now. Been ages since I've been to Meth Street.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The Judge wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:00 pm
paul.smith wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:49 pm This is an interesting concept I just wonder who has a vehicle registered to them or areal licence plate?
There used to be a small vendor who made fake license plates right on street 51. Don't know if it's still there now. Been ages since I've been to Meth Street.
There's no need for a fake plate when you buy a second hand vehicle, the database simply isn't up to date.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

More than two thirds of the speed cameras in the UK are not operational because (a) they cost too much money to maintain and more importantly (b) they don't have to be, so long as no-one knows which ones work and which ones don't.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Mobile speed traps and fixed penalty notices have been common on Khmer roads since 2016 or so, I've certainly been pulled a few times for minor speed related incidents as a result of them while driving a car

So no surprise they went automated; saves around 15 traffic cops from wasting their time and maybe frees up policing power for other traffic matters
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:27 pm Mobile speed traps and fixed penalty notices have been common on Khmer roads since 2016 or so, I've certainly been pulled a few times for minor speed related incidents as a result of them while driving a car

So no surprise they went automated; saves around 15 traffic cops from wasting their time and maybe frees up policing power for other traffic matters
Yes, agree that is a logical conclusion, but that means a lot less cash benefits for the 15 traffic cops in their hammocks, so that little extra income will have to come from somewhere else. Just like being a waiter in the US, the Cambodian cops rely on tips to supplement their income. 8)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic